People ever give you a hard time about...

It's amazing how helpless so many people are, these days. I feel very fortunate to have grown up with parents who were not afraid to do things. And who were always ready to learn something new.

I was never very close to my dad, but he gave me a gift that has served me well. That's the ability to find out how to do anything I set my mind to. I watched him learn all kinds of stuff through the years. If he got curious about something, he'd find a book and teach himself. If he couldn't find a book, or had any trouble with just a book, he'd start asking around until he found somebody who know how to do whatever it was at the time, and pay him to give him lessons.

My mom was a lot like that, too, so I had good role models as far as survival was concerned. Neither of them were fearful people, and neither am I. These days people are encouraged to be afraid of everything, food, dirt, animals, it's so weird to me. How on earth do they think the human race has survive this long, if we're as vulnerable as the media would have you think? Then, trying to avoid anything that might be bad, they eat all kinds of supposedly 'safe' food, that turns out to be full of crap that's killing them. Eat the poison, and be afraid of wholesome, natural food. Very sad. Very perplexing.

I agree with the argument. But where I am (near central city) it is considered to not be so good. I might try it later on in life, but probably won't do the actual processing myself. Good on you all for doing it though. I am making sure my folks are "egg"ducated on what to buy - animals that have lived happy, full lives. I try to grow as many veges as possible in the limited space that I have, have a worm bin and I suppose (in a non-intended way) my chickens are another step foward of that.

Daisygirl

My daughters new phrase is "lets eat them!" she is just under 5 yr old.

Tony hunts and takes DD out looking for deer signs in the woods.
I say, do you like deer? She says--"lets eat them!"

LOL
She knows where food comes from..LOL

Our chickens, we watch them and she points one out and says "lets eat that one!"

LOL

You are right. So many are so clueless "about all foods"

We have to get back in touch with real nature.

My mom was a lot like that, too, so I had good role models as far as survival was concerned. Neither of them were fearful people, and neither am I. These days people are encouraged to be afraid of everything, food, dirt, animals, it's so weird to me. How on earth do they think the human race has survive this long, if we're as vulnerable as the media would have you think? Then, trying to avoid anything that might be bad, they eat all kinds of supposedly 'safe' food, that turns out to be full of crap that's killing them. Eat the poison, and be afraid of wholesome, natural food. Very sad. Very perplexing.

I have to agree with this! The germophobia has reached new highs with the "swine flu" scare. Sad, really, that so many people are so easily swayed by fearmongering media.

If I had to live that way, it wouldn't be worth the living!
sad.png

thumbsup.gif
Good for you, Daisygirl! There's an impressive amount a person can do to increase their self-sustainablility no matter where they live. Every little pot of herbs, tray of lettuces, tub of tomato plants is a step in the right direction. Vermi-composting can be done even in the most urban environment, and is actually getting trendy in some posh circles. Keeping your own chickens even just for the eggs is certainly a positive step. Otherwise, for all the foodstuffs I do buy I try to think of every dollar spent as a vote for the product's corporation and method of manufacture.

By the way, I'm sure you've been asked this before, but is that a kiwi in your avatar?

I raised the Christmas turkey a few years ago and my sis in law asked how they were doing? I said "they are running round in the sunshine happy as they could be!"

Imagine my surprise when she put her face in her hands and wailed "Oh GOD! Stop, just STOP!"

When I had recovered from my surprise at her reaction I asked her why their being happy was a bad thing and she replied "If they were miserable it would be merciful to kill them, you would be doing them a favor!"

I was forbidden to even mention the word turkey after that for fear that I would put any one off their dinner.

She was also the one who told her daughters (age 9 at the time) that chickens laid 2 kinds of eggs, one for people to eat and one for hatching into chicks. They asked after seeing our chicks in the incubator and instead of the truth, that cosy little lie was her answer
he.gif

And yes, my kids get it at school too
roll.png
"You eat THAT?!?" Fortunately they are happy enough in themselves to be able to say "You DONT???" and laugh back lol

I have promised that after this move I will get a small animal trap to catch squirrels for dinner. They havnt had it yet but as they yell "Get it Mummy!" every time we see one running round the yard they are really keen to try
cool.png
and they LOVE helping me the odd time I manage to get a chicken or pig. I know a lovely man who will sell me a just shot pig for less than a dollar a pound. The kids and I make a great meal on the simmered till tender head
droolin.gif
My poor hubby, on the other hand, has to leave not only the room but the house as well
lau.gif

This fear of life that I see all round me just makes my head hurt, little kids kept away from all dirt and spritzing their hands with heavens only know what to keep safe from devil germs and dont get me started on commercials selling fear, my poor hubby has to stop me from yelling at the telly
rant.gif

It isn't an issue at home because we live in a small town in cattle ranching area. My local paper has an entire page at this time of year dedicated to photos of kids and the bucks they've shot this season.

But at work I do get folks who are both fascinated and horrified that I eat animals I've raised.

True story about when my DS was little. I can't remember how old he was, but he was still in a carseat. We were driving past a field of cattle and he asked me if they were "milk cows or meat cows." I told him they were meat cows.

"So someone is going to eat them?"

"Yes, honey. Someone is going to eat them."

Soft little voice: "That's sad." Long pause. "Now I want a hamburger."

big_smile.png

Quote:
This only appies to the BB variety of turkeys, but I used it with some of my co-workers when we raised some one year:
"These turkeys are happy now, but they're bred to get way bigger and heavier than heritage breeds. If they aren't butchered before they get too huge, they start to get leg problems, and they won't be happy then. They'll be in pain. It would be cruel to try to keep them alive too long."

Quote:
No kidding, I'm horrified when I see the commercials showing the happy, confident mom, spraying disinfectant all over the toys and pencils and what not, that a few seconds before, they showed little kids chewing and sucking on. They seem to think Lysol and other chemical disinfectants are edible products. If I thought I should disinfect something a kid might stick in their mouth, I'd wash it in hot soapy water, and put apple cider vinegar in the rinse. Maybe spray things with Listerine if I had to. Or make a thyme extract with Everclear or a high-proof vodka, to spray on things.

Quote:
I saw a PBS TV show about backyard chickens in Pittsburgh. Most of the people they interviewed were ladies that kept them as pets and got eggs as a bonus.

From your comments I guess this forum is divided into 2 camps. One camp for meat and one for pets and eggs and the 2 camps don't see eye to eye.

Quote:
My husband told me once, while we were butchering rabbits, how cute I was. I was wrist deep in the rabbit cleaning it out and he said, " you are so cute, you can chop them up in little pieces but you can't kill them." I laughed, because it was true. Taking a life is very hard, especially when you raised it up. But providing for you family is important and the animal was well taken care of. We are not bad. We are responsible farmers. I heard of a rabbit person with over 200 rabbits living in cages in a barn, in horrible conditions, because she couldn't bring herself to sell them as meat or process them. They probably are all gone by now, poor things.

Back
Top Bottom