People not reading a for sale ad, before contacting you GEEEZ!

WIChookchick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Rural Brooklyn, WI
OK....I have an ad up for somethings I have for sale, I posted on our local CL. (I know I know.. CL)
I am very specific in my ad, AND ask that they put a specific set of words in the subject line in their
email to me, to weed out the spammers...
I just read one where the person wrote a HUGE email, mostly likely copied and pasted from his drafts or saved file
so all he would have to do is add, " I saw your (insert item here)"....

Not only did he apparently not see the CAPITOL letters describing the condition of said items, but said he was in the business
of buying certain items, and the the condition of the items I was selling were ones he would not take anyway...
And of course didn't put the correct subject in the subject line..
Is it really that hard to write down "Very Used couch"? in the subject line? (not the item I was selling, just an example)

Grrrrr!!!!
Its starting to piss me off.

Soooo anyone else dealt with this and want to vent??

Gosh yes!!! I also just had a Craig's list ad running...title: Silkie Chickens for sale. I listed precisely what colors/sexes/ages I had available.

Every other email was "what colors do you have" and one was even "Do you have any other breeds of chickens, I don't like silkies".
smack.gif

Don't these people read?????
rant.gif

Heh! I make my living selling online, and believe me, some percentage of people don't read ads. Many of my replies are just copied and pasted from the listing. Oh, well, sometimes they buy, so it's okay
lol.png

Quote:
In the defense of your responders, I have called ads for silkies before and, even though several colors were listed in the ad, I still asked what colors she had available because the reality is that the person posting the ad might have been sold out of the colors I was interested in by the time I responded. The ad might read something like , "We have blue, white, and partridge silkies," but by the time I call, they might be out of blue if I'm looking for blue, or might be out of partridge if I'm looking for partridge, so I still ask.

I've also contacted people with chicken ads to see if they have other breeds (I would never tell them I "didn't like" what they were offering, though... that's just downright rude) or to see if they sell hatching eggs. I have successfully acquired porcelain Belgian d'uccle and silkie hatching eggs by doing this. In fact, I got those d'uccle and silkie eggs by responding to an ad for bantam rumpless purebred araucanas! By the time I got hold of her, she was out of the araucana hatching eggs, so I asked her if she had any other chickens .... and here I sit with 7 silkie eggs and 6 belgian d'uccles cookin' away in the bator (well, most of the d'uccle eggs are currently the temporary property of the broody hen out back).

Most chicken people don't mind calls/questions about their chooks. I called one lady one day to ask her a simple question about her ad, and we ended up being on the phone nearly an hour, talking chooks!

Before my next door neighbor got the internet, I was her "goat agent" and bought and sold goats for her (interesting gig).

Boer/Nubian Doe, Age unknown, approximately 4-5 yrs old. Not currently in milk. Bred to Saanen buck on 10/25 and 11/21. $125, serious inquiries only. Located between West Branch and Bay City.

"What kind of goat is it?"

"Can we milk her right away?"

"How old is the goat?"

"Will you take $50 for her?"

"Do you have pictures of the deer?" (apparently they thought it was a doe deer)

"Where are you?"

roll.png

I sell chicks on CL every so often, generally straight run and I always make it CLEAR that I do not sell 'girls' (I don't say pullets, as that could even be confusing to a new chicken owner) separately. I *always* get a few emails "I can't have roosters, can you sell me girl chickens?". /sigh.
smile.png

Quote:
In the defense of your responders, I have called ads for silkies before and, even though several colors were listed in the ad, I still asked what colors she had available because the reality is that the person posting the ad might have been sold out of the colors I was interested in by the time I responded. The ad might read something like , "We have blue, white, and partridge silkies," but by the time I call, they might be out of blue if I'm looking for blue, or might be out of partridge if I'm looking for partridge, so I still ask.

I've also contacted people with chicken ads to see if they have other breeds (I would never tell them I "didn't like" what they were offering, though... that's just downright rude) or to see if they sell hatching eggs. I have successfully acquired porcelain Belgian d'uccle and silkie hatching eggs by doing this. In fact, I got those d'uccle and silkie eggs by responding to an ad for bantam rumpless purebred araucanas! By the time I got hold of her, she was out of the araucana hatching eggs, so I asked her if she had any other chickens .... and here I sit with 7 silkie eggs and 6 belgian d'uccles cookin' away in the bator (well, most of the d'uccle eggs are currently the temporary property of the broody hen out back).

Most chicken people don't mind calls/questions about their chooks. I called one lady one day to ask her a simple question about her ad, and we ended up being on the phone nearly an hour, talking chooks!

I'm very precise with my listings & update what I have available immediately after a sale.....please don't defend them as some are just too lazy to read!!
gig.gif
If I had other breeds for sale (which I don't) I would list those also. I don't mind answering questions if the info is not already there...that's very rare. I'm not big on phone chatting, so a long phone chat is definately out of the question...I'm too busy taking care of the chickens!!
lau.gif

That is frustrating. However, that particular type of email sounds like a scam that I've received several times. They offer to buy whatever it is you want to sell but send a fake money order for more than you ask and tell you to send back a check for the extra. Unfortunately a lot of people still fall for it!

I'm so glad it's not just me dealing with these people.
I posted an add for some free rare breed roosters on our local community online bulletin board. I had fools calling and telling me, "I don't want roosters, I want hens". Really, so do I!
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom