@people who put music on their websites...

I think that is way up there among the top five things that I hate. It's possible to turn it off, though.

If you are using Internet Explorer (mine specifically is IE 7) on the menu it's

Tools
Internet Options
Advanced (tab)

You have to scroll down a little more than half way under "Multimedia" and unselect the "Play Sounds on Webpages."

Whatever browser you are using should have the option. You just have to find it.

Of course, if there is a video or something with sound you want to watch, you have to go select it again.

To make it easier for me, I just keep the Volume muted (it's a little silver speaker in your system tray--the area round your clock.) And if you want to listen to something, un-mute it. For the most part, I don't want my computer making any noise at all. Especially at work. All those random BONKS and DINGs are just annoying. So the mute option works best for me.

Cassandra

Quote:
yes, but I did not know it was there, it took a while to load and I was looking at other stuff, so when it started it startled me. I know now that almost everyone has music on it and that bands will have their music on it.

How do you really feel, greyfields?
wink.png

I do agree - I hate having to hover my finger over my keyboard's 'mute' button in anticipation of some blaring "music". And that's on the site where I can anticipate it. Some sites, you have no clue there will be any kind of music.

There are lots of great design standards for websites, unfortunately very few people know or use them.

gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

I opened a little video clip the other day, not knowing my volume was CRANKED up - ALL of a sudden a dang ROOSTER crowed. I just about had a heart attack and then the dog came over and started BARKING at ME!

Quote:
There is an online hatchery with the rooster from hell crowing at 130 dB. I vowed never to order from them and should bill them for the tylenol needed for the headache.

I have to agree with the majority. I think some sort of box should pop up to offer you the choice. The worst is when everyone is asleep and YOU cannot sleep. So youre in front of the pc
caf.gif
and you click on a site that starts playing the midi music at " 'leven "
ep.gif
and you jump, then look around, then BLUSH like you were doing something wrong when all you were doing was looking for some dog breed info.
rant.gif
And it's NEVER been a good song or a good rendition of a good song. Blah!!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom