people with house chickens

I couldn't afford the chicken diapers online because I needed 3 different sizes and at least 2 of each size. So I went to youtube and found chickenmom's sewing pattern and instructions on diapering. The pattern was so simple I made a couple without even a sewing machine. It took a few tries to get the fit correct for each breed of chicken because my 5-toed Silkies really fought getting into the diapers and their 5-toes really worked hard to get the diapers off. My Ameraucana never adjusted to wearing a diaper - she sat and moped all day if the diaper was on her so after a week we stopped trying to keep her in the house.

I line the diaper pouches with trimmed-down sandwich baggies and a strip of paper towel and pin them inside the pouch -- I had to change out the diapers in the middle of the day because they got soaked through -- usually had to change them out about every 4-5 hours which is why I needed several chicken diapers. If the diapers get uncomfortably wet that's when the chicken struggles to get out of it.
So sorry about your Lacey. Your new chicken looks like an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are the sweetest birds but they have jittery kooky spooky jumpy personalities and they seldom outgrow that alert feature. Just because they are jittery doesn't mean they won't make a nice pet. Just be aware that it's the nature of the breed. Our Ameraucana will not tolerate a human hand but will eat treats out of our hand. If we want to hold or handle her it's best to get her after roost-time. Then she lets us hold and pet her and she coo's to us as we talk to her. She let's us bathe her when she needs a tush wash, and she'll take vitamins from a dropper. There were times when she flew to the coop roof and was willing for us to pick her up gently and put her back down. She doesn't fly up onto things in the yard any more. She continues being a spooky kooky hen running to-and-fro in the backyard but we've gotten accustomed to the nature of this breed. EEs and Amers are some of the gentlest non-combative breeds in the chicken world. OurFlyBabies.com say they always keep a flock of Amers because they are so nurturing and willingly accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock without incident where other breeds are not so nice.

can I ask were u got the diapers cuz they sound like they suck lol. I pay $15/20 for one and it has a vinyl lined pouch wich is water proof so nothing escpaes. I can use the same diaper for days if I want to just a tissue in the pouch and take it out when I change her. if its messy a Clorox wipe does the job. ive have avian fashions diaps and they are not lined.. they suck.. louises were not fitter right and way to much material. skys are ok but they pull so hard on my birds wings and she can escape from them. that's y rosas rock not a lot of materials to piss off the bird it fits perfect, has a liner, and dosnt cover preening glands like most do.

I couldn't afford the chicken diapers online because I needed 3 different sizes and at least 2 of each size. So I went to youtube and found chickenmom's sewing pattern and instructions on diapering. The pattern was so simple I made a couple without even a sewing machine. It took a few tries to get the fit correct for each breed of chicken because my 5-toed Silkies really fought getting into the diapers and their 5-toes really worked hard to get the diapers off. My Ameraucana never adjusted to wearing a diaper - she sat and moped all day if the diaper was on her so after a week we stopped trying to keep her in the house.

I line the diaper pouches with trimmed-down sandwich baggies and a strip of paper towel and pin them inside the pouch -- I had to change out the diapers in the middle of the day because they got soaked through -- usually had to change them out about every 4-5 hours which is why I needed several chicken diapers. If the diapers get uncomfortably wet that's when the chicken struggles to get out of it.
So sorry about your Lacey. Your new chicken looks like an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas are the sweetest birds but they have jittery kooky spooky jumpy personalities and they seldom outgrow that alert feature. Just because they are jittery doesn't mean they won't make a nice pet. Just be aware that it's the nature of the breed. Our Ameraucana will not tolerate a human hand but will eat treats out of our hand. If we want to hold or handle her it's best to get her after roost-time. Then she lets us hold and pet her and she coo's to us as we talk to her. She let's us bathe her when she needs a tush wash, and she'll take vitamins from a dropper. There were times when she flew to the coop roof and was willing for us to pick her up gently and put her back down. She doesn't fly up onto things in the yard any more. She continues being a spooky kooky hen running to-and-fro in the backyard but we've gotten accustomed to the nature of this breed. EEs and Amers are some of the gentlest non-combative breeds in the chicken world. OurFlyBabies.com say they always keep a flock of Amers because they are so nurturing and willingly accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock without incident where other breeds are not so nice.

here she is today estimated 11-12 weeks old now. shes bantam size so thinking d'uccle mix not Easter egger. plus the feathered legs and feet

can I ask were u got the diapers cuz they sound like they suck lol. I pay $15/20 for one and it has a vinyl lined pouch wich is water proof so nothing escpaes. I can use the same diaper for days if I want to just a tissue in the pouch and take it out when I change her. if its messy a Clorox wipe does the job. ive have avian fashions diaps and they are not lined.. they suck.. louises were not fitter right and way to much material. skys are ok but they pull so hard on my birds wings and she can escape from them. that's y rosas rock not a lot of materials to piss off the bird it fits perfect, has a liner, and dosnt cover preening glands like most do.

I made the diapers from chickenmom's youtube video and her design leaves the preening glands exposed -- she had a bantam with serious foot issues and had to keep him in-house permanently so she has a very workable basic pattern, some with added costume options. The diapers work well but because I usually only keep a chicken in-house when it's sick, the poops will not be normal or excessively runny -- usually because of antibiotics injection or Tylan in the water and the diaper basically is filled with liquidy poops rather than the nice firm poop of a healthy bird (that's why I add the sandwich baggies with extra paper towel in it pinned to the pouch that already has a plastic liner). I have 6 diapers in 3 sizes and just make sure I always have a spare if a bird needs changing. I don't like having the runny poops irritate the tush for too long in the diaper. Fluffy Silkie feathers really soak in liquid/wet quickly. Once had a Silkie lay her egg in her diaper. Couldn't figure out why it was so heavy and dragging.
lau.gif

Needless to say it took me several designs and measurements to fit all the sizes of birds I have -- some have to be wider, some longer, some without velcro (Silkie feathers don't do well with sticky velcro). Our Ameraucana was absolutely resistant to standing or walking in her diaper and just sat around and moped. She could move fine and walk in it but she was stubborn about something with it -- I always thought our Leghorns were independent thought-processers but she absolutely insists on doing things her own way. If she has to be in-house we have to keep her in the dog kennel because she won't interract with us or eat/drink if she has the diaper on. She is a lovely, sweet, kind pet and flockmate so we don't begrudge her her dignity and don't force the diaper on her.

I ordered a couple dozen Dominique hatching eggs from Nantahala Farm and hatched Ross August 20 2014.
Ross was a different chicken from the start. He wanted to be cuddled and petted all the time.
Didn’t know what sex he was because his legs were black & yellow striped. He went to my cousin’s farm with all the rest when they were old enough. My cousin named him and they were taking him in the house to watch TV with them. They convinced me to bring him home and make him a house chicken because he was special. He sleeps on the sofa back or right beside me. But usually spends the night on his perch without the diaper. He loves Townhouse crackers and gets all excited when he hears the bag crackle. He goes everywhere with me wearing his polka-dot diaper. We just went to see Dover Doug the groundhog make his prediction.
He sits on my shoulder at the drive-through and I fight him for my burger as I drive. He ate a whole slice of pizza during the Super Bowl and washed it down with ½ pint of beer. He gets talkative when he’s drunk. Just crowed for the first time that Sunday.
Never thought I would have chickens let alone a house chicken. It’s been a learning experience, he dreams & talks in his sleep. The same Holy Spirit that inhabits humans lives in this chicken and I can’t help but believe that keeping 6 billion of them in cages till we eat them at 6 months harms that Holy Spirit.

Super Bowl Pizza

here she is today estimated 11-12 weeks old now. shes bantam size so thinking d'uccle mix not Easter egger. plus the feathered legs and feet

The feathered feet are so cute. Do you think she might grow a beard or muff too? I love her feather colors. My Silkies have fluff coming out of every part of their little bodies - crests/beards/muffs/feathered legs/toes. And in the Spring I'm getting a heavily feather-footed Breda -- that should be an interesting bird to add to my gentle breeds flock. All my breeds have either crests/muffs/beards or feathered feet.

He sits on my shoulder at the drive-through and I fight him for my burger as I drive. He ate a whole slice of pizza during the Super Bowl and washed it down with ½ pint of beer. He gets talkative when he’s drunk.
Never thought I would have chickens let alone a house chicken. It’s been a learning experience, he dreams & talks in his sleep. The same Holy Spirit that inhabits humans lives in this chicken and I can’t help but believe that keeping 6 billion of them in cages till we eat them at 6 months harms that Holy Spirit.

Super Bowl Pizza

I love Doms. I think they fit all the parameters for the perfect backyard (or house) chicken. They are friendly outgoing curious talkative - just a great all-around pet.
Just wanted to share something re people food for chickens. I've seen chickens drinking Mountain Dew and beer and guess that isn't harmful occasionally compared to onions. Onions is dangerous for dogs -- particularly small pets -- it causes leukemia type symptoms and can kill a small dog like a Yorkie. A woman in India couldn't figure why her chickens were getting ill since she was feeding them a nice diet of rice, garlic, and onions. The rice was good but she was slowly making them sick with the onions and way too much garlic - moderate amounts of garlic intermittently used in drinking water occasionally is used by some chicken owners but I keep away from it just to be safe. Most pizza sauces and pizza toppings contain onions/garlic. Chickens will eat anything so we have to be studious to know what to offer them. I was so happy to come across the following links of plants toxic vs safe for poultry:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html
http://www.ehow.com/list_7372892_plants-chickens-garden.html
http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/poisonous-plants-for-chickens
http://www.grit.com/animals/common-...-to-dogs-cats-and-chickens.aspx#axzz3KpE7wOXl

Last edited:
I love Doms. I think they fit all the parameters for the perfect backyard (or house) chicken. They are friendly outgoing curious talkative - just a great all-around pet.
Just wanted to share something re people food for chickens. I've seen chickens drinking Mountain Dew and beer and guess that isn't harmful occasionally compared to onions. Onions is dangerous for dogs -- particularly small pets -- it causes leukemia type symptoms and can kill a small dog like a Yorkie. A woman in India couldn't figure why her chickens were getting ill since she was feeding them a nice diet of rice, garlic, and onions. The rice was good but she was slowly making them sick with the onions and way too much garlic - moderate amounts of garlic intermittently used in drinking water occasionally is used by some chicken owners but I keep away from it just to be safe. Most pizza sauces and pizza toppings contain onions/garlic. Chickens will eat anything so we have to be studious to know what to offer them. I was so happy to come across the following links of plants toxic vs safe for poultry:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html
http://www.ehow.com/list_7372892_plants-chickens-garden.html
http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/poisonous-plants-for-chickens
http://www.grit.com/animals/common-...-to-dogs-cats-and-chickens.aspx#axzz3KpE7wOXl

He spits out the onions & pickles when he eats a burger. They are smart about not eating bad stuff. Only thing I worry about is too much salt & dairy. Same thing that does the most damage to me also. I limit these, he would eat rice pudding till he gagged.
droolin.gif

The feathered feet are so cute. Do you think she might grow a beard or muff too? I love her feather colors. My Silkies have fluff coming out of every part of their little bodies - crests/beards/muffs/feathered legs/toes. And in the Spring I'm getting a heavily feather-footed Breda -- that should be an interesting bird to add to my gentle breeds flock. All my breeds have either crests/muffs/beards or feathered feet.

haha omg cute!!! love how hes sleeping on the couch all cuddly :)
I think she will shes already getting some muffs, very small tho. I have a d'anver and have had a few of them they have great muffs lol but by the time they are her age they are way more prominent. im curious of what she coulf be mixed with. and what her size will be.

He spits out the onions & pickles when he eats a burger. They are smart about not eating bad stuff. Only thing I worry about is too much salt & dairy. Same thing that does the most damage to me also. I limit these, he would eat rice pudding till he gagged.
droolin.gif

If Ross likes pizza (it's the bread chickens like) just scrape off the toppings first before feeding him. We feed our chickens the sprouted grains breads like Ezekiel so they aren't eating the white flour gluten-heavy enriched fluff breads from the supermarkets. Chickens love rice and if it's sweetened rice pudding even moreso! The sugar acts like an electrolyte giving them energy. I don't worry too much about salt because a small amount actually deters feather-picking. I always sprinkle a light amount in the brown rice I cook up for the flock. As for dairy we only feed kefir or nonfat plain Greek yogurt to aid in the chickens' digestion -- especially after they eat grain or sprouted breads or have a gag reflex from overeating. Don't be shocked that chickens are cannibalistic and will actually eat raw or cooked chicken! I personally don't feed it to our flock but they have no qualms about being carnivorous! I will feed them boiled eggs mixed in their treat dish occasionally. Chickens get accustomed to people food and it becomes difficult to get them to eat the nutrition-balanced chicken pellets. Get a package of dry mealworms for Ross as occasional treat food or raw sunflower seeds to toss out for him to peck at. Chickens love to forage!

I can identify with your story about Ross helping himself to your burger. I had a cockteil that sat on my driver's headrest when I drove around town. His previous owner died and we inherited him -- he was accustomed to traveling in a camper with his owner. He'd wolf whistle at pedestrians in the crosswalk or wolf whistle at you coming out of the shower! When I went through a drive-thru joint he'd come down on my shoulder to help himself to my burger bread!

Back
Top Bottom