people with house chickens

One of my boys says hello
1f60a.png

Thank you! So is finn! I wish I knew exactly. He looks like mix of two things. We got them as babies and I never asked. Wyandotte mix looks like one of them

So, here's a new one...

Has anyone here ever had a chicken HIDE food for later? Similar to when a dog buries a bone? Cause, that's what happened just moments ago...

Earlier today, Enzo decided to, at some point, hide a green bean under the rug in front of the kitchen sink while dinner was being prepared. This was likely some time around 6:30 - 7pm. It is now 9:38pm, and she is wiping her beak on the carpet as I'm typing this. Basically, she hid it, waited for everyone to eat, ran around and did her normal house pet thing for a while, then decided she was hungry again. I got out of the shower and saw her walking over to the rug, carefully lift up one corner, and grab her buried treasure.

Keep in mind, she does help herself to the leftovers we share with the dogs as well, so I'm thinking she wanted to be more of a pig by making sure no one else knew that her extra share existed, so nobody would object to her "sharing" with the dogs.

I've never seen that before... Thoughts?

Here's the offender:

So, here's a new one...

Has anyone here ever had a chicken HIDE food for later? Similar to when a dog buries a bone? Cause, that's what happened just moments ago...

Earlier today, Enzo decided to, at some point, hide a green bean under the rug in front of the kitchen sink while dinner was being prepared. This was likely some time around 6:30 - 7pm. It is now 9:38pm, and she is wiping her beak on the carpet as I'm typing this. Basically, she hid it, waited for everyone to eat, ran around and did her normal house pet thing for a while, then decided she was hungry again. I got out of the shower and saw her walking over to the rug, carefully lift up one corner, and grab her buried treasure.

Keep in mind, she does help herself to the leftovers we share with the dogs as well, so I'm thinking she wanted to be more of a pig by making sure no one else knew that her extra share existed, so nobody would object to her "sharing" with the dogs.

I've never seen that before... Thoughts?

Here's the offender:

Wow! Clever Enzo!!
smile.png
She almost needs a 'chicken shaming' sign saying "I hide green beans under the carpet for snacks later so I don't have to share"
big_smile.png

I haven't had one hide food like this before that I know of, but I do have a tiny Serama pullet (her name is Tidbit) who has a hard time keeping her snacks from getting stolen by the bigger girls.
She would grab it and run, peeping and did that a few times until she seemed to realize that peeping/running just attracted too much attention, getting her snack stolen. Now she'll grab the snack and run (still peeping) but will stop and set it down at her feet and wait until those chasing her stop chasing and lose interest. She'll stand there acting nonchalant like 'nothing to see here' and wait until they walk away before quietly eating it, sometimes several minutes later.

Tidbit in her favorite hang out spot...
big_smile.png
She still wants to be a house chicken but hubby is not enthused at the idea
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom