people with house chickens

My babies on their first outing...

Absolutely adorable little family!!
love.gif

Wow! Clever Enzo!! :) She almost needs a 'chicken shaming' sign saying "I hide green beans under the carpet for snacks later so I don't have to share" :D I haven't had one hide food like this before that I know of, but I do have a tiny Serama pullet (her name is Tidbit) who has a hard time keeping her snacks from getting stolen by the bigger girls. She would grab it and run, peeping and did that a few times until she seemed to realize that peeping/running just attracted too much attention, getting her snack stolen. Now she'll grab the snack and run (still peeping) but will stop and set it down at her feet and wait until those chasing her stop chasing and lose interest. She'll stand there acting nonchalant like 'nothing to see here' and wait until they walk away before quietly eating it, sometimes several minutes later. Tidbit in her favorite hang out spot...:D She still wants to be a house chicken but hubby is not enthused at the idea :/
Hah! Chicken shaming signs are a fantastic idea! I know I'd run out of ink and paper in about a week if I made one every time she got herself in trouble! Little Tidbit sounds like a very smart little bird! Tricking the others into thinking she has nothing of interest is hugely intelligent! Of course, it had to be a Serama! Haha. They're the best at being nonchalant, aren't they? "No, there are not any snacks here.. I'm afraid you've been misinformed. Perhaps it would be in your best interest to look elsewhere.." Hahaha! Tidbit looks pretty similar to a little Serama roo I've got, actually. Here's a picture of my three youngsters on the couch on Sunday:

Aww, she is so cute! What happened?
She got too close to our gander's wife and he grabbed her neck and ripped a very, very large chunk out of her neck, all the way around. There is a 1 inch piece of skin that stops the gash from being a full circle around her neck. It would have severed her crop.. we were very lucky.

This is not the only layer he injured either, but none were this severe. I could see her neck, like you would see on a chicken carcass. I can't even believe she recovered from it. She is all scabbed over with no infection at all. :) She is laying eggs, and eating like a champ. She will definitely recover, but I'm not sure she will regrow feathers on her neck. It's okay.. we breed Naked Neck chickens. She will fit in lol

Back
Top Bottom