people with house chickens

Do you all use diapers? Do some of you not use diapers?

Using chicken diapers is a personal choice but we believe in giving chickens foraging freedom so letting them have the run of the house was important to us so diapers were essential.
I used diapers on all my new juveniles during quarantine before introducing them outdoors to the main flock.
My Silkie's butt after 3 months of diapers was sparse on feathers. With extra fluffy butts like Silkies, Ameraucanas, EEs, etc, the diapers seem to wear down the fluffy butt feathers.
My Leghorn only wore her diaper for 2 weeks so there was no feather damage and she was not a particularly fluffy breed.
My Ameraucana absolutely refused to move/walk in her diaper and would just sulk sitting down all day. She would not cooperate so after a week of trying we stopped using them on her. Amers and EEs are sweet human friendly birds but they definitely have a mind of their own - they are independent thinkers and want to figure things out for themselves without our assistance so forcing our Amer to wear a diaper was not in the cards - she recognized diapers were a foreign practice for birds. As an adult she became the backyard sentinel of the flock - wary, predator-savvy, alert, jittery, jumpy, spooky and altogether kooky, loveable, and non-combative in temperament. This breed is not your typical average heritage temperament - this breed is incredibly human friendly especially if handled from chickhood and are very accepting of orphaned chicks or injured birds which is not typical of most other breeds, they are kind to flockmates and non-combative, they are quick to move and jumpy about noises and/or predators - ours will chase out stray cats from the yard! I would not recommend using diapers on this breed.

It's important to watch the consistency of poops in the diaper. If there are liquidy poops then change the diaper pouch so the skin doesn't get irritated from the moisture. Sometimes we would have to wash and blowdry the butt area so there wouldn't be any irritation. Solid poops are good for dropping down low in the pouch and away from the skin and won't need changing. I have never used diapers continuously for more than 3 months and it was on a Silkie and I didn't like what it did to the butt feathers so I stopped using them. It was time to integrate the Silkie into the main flock by then. I can't testify to using diapers longer than 3 months but I think they would work for longer periods on a hard-feathered breed better than a fluffier breed.

Our Silkie once layed an egg in her pouch and walked around without breaking it.

Do you all use diapers? Do some of you not use diapers?
I don't, but I do let mine outside periodically during the day. They have gotten used to going outside and will run to the door right when I get home to be let out and poop
idunno.gif
I have wood and tile floors, so clean-up is easy
smile.png

I don't, but I do let mine outside periodically during the day. They have gotten used to going outside and will run to the door right when I get home to be let out and poop
idunno.gif
I have wood and tile floors, so clean-up is easy
smile.png

I don't either, or yet I haven't had the money to buy one and I haven't finished making the one I started. But I also have wood flooring threw out the house + laminate and tile.

My only issues is her on my bed, if I fall asleep when she out. She'll climb up on my bed while I am asleep and hang out. I've had to wash my quilt a few times after that. But the quilt washing has been worth waking up with her sitting on my chest looking at me cutely.

I don't either, or yet I haven't had the money to buy one and I haven't finished making the one I started. But I also have wood flooring threw out the house + laminate and tile.

My only issues is her on my bed, if I fall asleep when she out. She'll climb up on my bed while I am asleep and hang out. I've had to wash my quilt a few times after that. But the quilt washing has been worth waking up with her sitting on my chest looking at me cutely.
Awww...I wouldn't mind either
love.gif
we have a 2 story home so she is limited to downstairs to roam...but has snuggled up to me on the couch when I have dozed off
smile.png

I think they enjoy cuddles more then most non chicken owners would think.

I have discovered Pancake does not like balloons. I got one for my birthday (the 6th) and she was freaking out and we couldn't work out why until I moved the balloon and she spazzed out.
My mom pointed out that she might think it is a predator, so we moved it into a room she isn't in often.

Been a while since I've given an update.. I'm all moved to a new province (Newfoundland) and I've had quite the blast with my girls over the past few days. Lots of travelling and of course they were there with me :)
Here's some pics from our adventure!

Wow, those pictures are so beautiful! Your girls look really happy, and what beautiful scenery!
smile.png

I think they enjoy cuddles more then most non chicken owners would think.

I have discovered Pancake does not like balloons. I got one for my birthday (the 6th) and she was freaking out and we couldn't work out why until I moved the balloon and she spazzed out.
My mom pointed out that she might think it is a predator, so we moved it into a room she isn't in often.

Outdoors our hens get very skittish and wary when a mylar ballooon floats high above. They watch it warily until it is completely blown from view and then still watch the sky after its gone.

I have a barbu d anvers that I found in a car park other day and she is so tame I think she was a house pet so she is now indoors here, also have a 22 day old chic in house does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to be more friendly and not try to fly or run away every time I let go of her lok

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom