people with house chickens

No judgment here! But I have to ask, how do you keep everything clean? If you share your secret I may join your club
1f604.png

Diapers are definitely the way to go. I let Sunni and Frizz out without them once in a while, and they make such a mess in a short period of time. With the diapers, no mess. They each have their own coop (they don't get along the greatest right now). Sunni's coop is a modified dog igloo, and Frizz's coop is a large modified Guinea pig/rabbit cage. When I am not home, or don't feel like supervising them, they go in their coops. That also gives their feathers a break from the diapers, too.

I get diapers from crazykfarms/Hen Saver. The smallest size for Frizz, and the medium for Sunni. They work great. I get the wrap around kind. It took me so long to find diapers that would work for them. They are both so active and love to preen, so they would just pull any diaper I tried right off. Sunni has been wearing this brand for almost two years, and has yet to figure out how to get them off. :D

Having chickens in the house is definitely a hoot. My girls can be quite mischievous. They act almost like little toddlers. You turn away for 30 seconds and they are off getting into some kind of trouble. But that is what I enjoy so much about having house chickens. They keep us busy. :)

I should also add that those diapers definitely aren't cheap, but they are well worth the price. They hold up really well, even after years of use, and they work great.

Last edited:
I should also add that those diapers definitely aren't cheap, but they are well worth the price. They hold up really well, even after years of use, and they work great.
Do you have some pictures of them open/closed? My daughter wants to make her own chicken diapers, and pictures so her and her dad can play around with making their own patterns would be awesome. :)

I think with her build you are right about where to measure her girth size, and you might measure from her vent to wing instead of tail to wing. She is very short backed compared to Rad! Inches would also be great
1f609.png
Your Rad is gorgeous, and smart!

Disco's tummy measurement is 13 and a half inches, and from vent to wing is 5 inches (hopefully - she didn't really like being measured up - I did measure a few times while our daughter helped). The ones I was looking at getting from Australia don't look as comfy as yours.

Your Rad is gorgeous, and smart! 

Disco's tummy measurement is 13 and a half inches, and from vent to wing is 5 inches (hopefully - she didn't really like being measured up - I did measure a few times while our daughter helped). The ones I was looking at getting from Australia don't look as comfy as yours.

I'll be sure to pass on the compliment
1f609.png
These tend to be relatively adjustable, so somewhere close should be good enough. I designed them for their comfort first, human convenience last. (For some reason people don't really like having to pin it)

I'll start today! And I figure I may as well make a few considering I'm shipping flat rate any weight, so if you wanna measure the others I can try and get everyone diapered
1f609.png

1f609.png
These tend to be relatively adjustable, so somewhere close should be good enough. I designed them for their comfort first, human convenience last. (For some reason people don't really like having to pin it)

I'll start today! And I figure I may as well make a few considering I'm shipping flat rate any weight, so if you wanna measure the others I can try and get everyone diapered
1f609.png
Wow, thank you so much! You're an angel! It's evening here so I'll measure the other two tomorrow. The other cochin is probably about the same but our booted bantam, Ducky, isn't as fluffy and will be a bit finer.

1f609.png

1f609.png

Ok, our other cochin, Cotton, measures 13 inches round her tummy and 6 inches from vent to wings (her backside is so fluffy I had trouble finding her vent!). Ducky is 12 and a quarter inches round her tummy and 5 inches from vent to wings. Here's a picture of her as she has closer feathers than the other two. She's a booted bantam but has developed white earlobes. Booted and d'Uccles are not a common breed in NZ and not many people are working on them. They are such a sweet breed though.

Again, thank you so much - I really appreciate it. I'll PM you my address.

Do you have a photo of ducky in the foreground? I really wanna pick fabrics from my pile that suit their plumage.

Here's Ducky with her tail up and one of her front on (she's a bit of a poser).

We've ended up with three white girls, although Cotton is Columbian coloured so has the black necklace and black in her tail, wings and foot feathering. She's also very shy so hard to get a good photo of especially with Disco standing in the way all the time! Our fourth pullet that died was a black mottled bantam cochin, which was why I was even sadder losing her.

This was Cotton a month ago so you can see her colouring.

Back
Top Bottom