people with house chickens

Thanks...i tried mealworms and at this moment they don't care abt them...will kee trying with time...mine love hard boiled eggs and plain spaghetti right now

It takes a while for chicks to like dry mealworms or dry shrimp. They seem to like the finer chick feed or Turkey grower feed (higher protein). I had chickens for 5 years before they started to go nuts for bananas! Just keep trying fresh produce chopped fine, cucumber centers, cantaloupe, etc. Just nothing with toxic ingredients:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

New to indoor chicks...mine are about 7weeks now and have ready at abt 8weeks to put them on grower feed and then 18weeks layer feed...but since they are going to be inside do they need a different kind of food because they won't get much bugs and foragin???

My girt would eat bugs when we took her outside for dusting, sunbathing ect. Otherwise, she loved dried meal worms...but not until she got older. Along with veggies finely chopped and fruits.....strawberries and watermelon are a favorite! I just try to keep it healthy
smile.png
Congrats on your indoor babies!

Last edited:
I don't have house chickens persay, but I do bring them in and hold them every now and then, and if any needs nursing I keep them in until they're all better! :D - So yea no judging here, in fact I am amazed that I found someone else who is like me, it's hard to find like minded people here... Not many people keep their birds as pets, I can say with a warm heart and a wide smile that I am honored to be a mama to some awesome birds!

I don't have house chickens persay, but I do bring them in and hold them every now and then, and if any needs nursing I keep them in until they're all better! :D - So yea no judging here, in fact I am amazed that I found someone else who is like me, it's hard to find like minded people here... Not many people keep their birds as pets, I can say with a warm heart and a wide smile that I am honored to be a mama to some awesome birds!

Chickens make the best pets
love.gif
They have amazing personalities and watching their chicken antics is always fun!

Had to share a pic of my new Blue Breda juvenile. Sadly, lost her sister after receiving shipment but this one seems to be doing very well. She's tame enough now to jump into my lap on her own and balances better so she doesn't scratch my arm anymore. She preens for a while and then sits down to snuggle. Usually she does this when it gets closer to roosting time. Then I carry her to her kennel for the night. My previous Blue Breda was the same way -- extremely friendly outgoing docile birds. This juvie "Tova" will join the outside flock when she gets bigger and closer to 5 or 6 months old. The yellow feet aren't Tova's but from the silkscreen chicken print on my T-shirt! Tova's feet are white and feathered.
DSCN8126.JPG
DSCN8129.JPG

You know peeps?THIS is what I want to be able to tell people someday:

"Hi!Welcome to The Girls Farm!Look around, Just be careful.There is a Incubator in the kitchen, one in the bedroom two.Uh, Lucy is laying a egg on the bed, and I'm pretty sure Midnight's laying in the washer, Uhhh, OH!Be careful, Mocha is on the Catwalk, she's broody and LOVES to jump down from there and attack people.Oh, and when you leave, careful, chickens are walking in the driveway with the ducks and Guineas.Enjoy!"

Back
Top Bottom