Peppa the big old bird

Willie84

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
Australia
peppa is my 7 year old Wyandotte chicken. She has sat on eggs periodically throughout her life and has been a great mother hen for me. My question is how old would you stop a hen brooding and raising chicks? knowing that she is a a great sitter and she puts herself through hell to raise them I don’t want her to die on the nest

She will not die as long as she is provided adequate feed and water. For an older broody I suggest:
  • Higher protein: 18 or 20% chick grower will provide her with better nutrients. As well as black oil sunflower seed (BOSS), mealworms, etc. Things like table scraps (lettuce, cabbage, fruits, veggies) although nutritious, are made up of mostly water (compared to natural forage) so not very nutritious or healthy. If you want to feed vegetation bring in freshly ripped weeds.
  • Water: make sure she has water available at all times. Clear and fresh.
  • Seperating her will allow her to keep her weight on better, versus always having to move around and deal with the flock.
  • Remove any extra eggs- an older broody may not be able to handle 15 or 20 chicks. Keep eggs to 10 or less.
  • Heat lamp: when the chicks hatch a heat lamp will encourage them to run around without momma, therefore tiring her less.
Good luck! Many old hens make great broodies. Make sure you monitor her closely for her weight.

Back
Top Bottom