1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Peppercorn in vent to find hidden nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maebh, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Maebh

Maebh In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    I have 3 chickens who I allow free range over a 4 acre fallow field. Unfortunately they have gotten in the habit of creating their own nests, though I do provide elevated nesting boxes in the coop with bedding.

I googled (probably not a good idea to trust google but any-who) and found a page advising placing a peppercorn in the chickens vent, tricking the chicken into thinking it needs to lay. I had some misgivings but unscrewed the pepper shaker and went fiddling with tail feathers.

And? Nothing, I mean the girls were unimpressed with being flipped upside down and having me probe them with my finger but once I had let them down they just stood their waiting for me to feed them.

Had this worked for anyone else? Did I do something wrong? Will I find the peppercorns ensconced in the shells of my hidden eggs?

Have you any suggestions for how to possibly find the hidden nest? I am afraid of attracting predators.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. CharterChick

CharterChick Songster

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I spent a few days watching my girls when a couple stopped laying in their nest. I found their nest and broke one of their eggs in the hidden nest and they never went back to it again!

As for the pepper corn I have heard of that and never tried it. Aside from having a taco bell butt i'm thinking she'll be fine!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: