Peppermint Extract

Stacyoung13

Crowing
Apr 9, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
I had a bad mouse problem in my run. I have a camera in the run, (chicken tv), the other night I watched about a dozen or so mice running around and chowing down on the chicken feed. I set out about a dozen traps, including bucket traps. Didn't catch a one. Just ran around them and jumped over them. After looking on the net, found that mice don't like mint. Peppermint Extract mixed with water and sprayed around the feed area works wonders. First night only 3-4, running around, nowhere near food. Second night, only one, still not near feed stations. Third night, I saw one run by the camera and was never seen again. Im gonna continue to use this at night when I lock my babies in. I'm not saying that it will work for everyone, but it works for me.:thumbsup

I usually feed them about 1 1/2 hours before dark so there isn't any rodent attracting feed left in the feeders.
I'm lazy. I got tired of cranking the feeders up each evening to keep the field mice from jumping up into them. :he :tongue:mad::sick
No feed after dark, no mice nibbling leftovers.
Problem solved.
Chickens don't eat much at night anyway. :gig

Yes, I can attest to peppermint being a great mouse repellent. I had a classic car that I kept stored 3/4 of the year, and mice were always making nests in the ground effects. My friend bought me these little squares that were infused with peppermint, and you peeled off the top and put them anywhere you wanted to repel mice. It worked! Wish I could remember the name of them...

My brother read that & has been using peppermint oil around my Mom's house. You may want to consider removing the feeder at night. I close up my girls & remove the feeder until morning
My feeders are pvc which is screwed and strapped to 4x4s. Not meant to come down. That's why I was looking for other ways to manage the boogers.

Erm..does anybody reckon I could make peppermint extract?..If so..How?
You could probably make a peppermint infused oil or even water. Water might be quicker and easier for something like that. You can sleep 1 tablespoon per cup of water or half a cup if you want to make it strong. Are usually take and simmer it for 20 minutes turn off the heat and leave the light on for at least two hours. Then strain it with cheese cloth or a coffee filter. I don’t know if that necessarily makes peppermint extract but it definitely gives a peppermint scent

I had a bad mouse problem in my run. I have a camera in the run, (chicken tv), the other night I watched about a dozen or so mice running around and chowing down on the chicken feed. I set out about a dozen traps, including bucket traps. Didn't catch a one. Just ran around them and jumped over them. After looking on the net, found that mice don't like mint. Peppermint Extract mixed with water and sprayed around the feed area works wonders. First night only 3-4, running around, nowhere near food. Second night, only one, still not near feed stations. Third night, I saw one run by the camera and was never seen again. Im gonna continue to use this at night when I lock my babies in. I'm not saying that it will work for everyone, but it works for me.:thumbsup
Such a good idea. And thank you for sharing I’m definitely going to give this a try. I already make a peppermint water spray for my cabinets to keep ants out in the summer and it works great never thought about using it for that little mouse I keep finding into chicken run.

Back
Top Bottom