Peppermint Leaves as Food Additive: Article from World Poultry

wonder if the smell does them any good? At this time of year all my peppermint plants have died back for the winter but I often use aromatherapy in the coop for my ladies. a wee drop of lavender and chamomile and some orange and citronella to keep pests away, I think I might try adding a few drops of peppermint oil, make it smell nice and Christmassy for them if nothing else.

Watch out for citronella! That can be dangerous around chickens as can many strong aromatics, including tea tree oil! Be VERY careful. Some can be fatal.

thanks I didn't know that I knew you can't feed them citrus but not that the smell would be a problem. I'll take note for next year as it's winter now do not needing any pest control as it's too cold and damp. they seem to love the lavender tho.

Hi there speckledhen!!
I found some chicken treats at the pet shop with mint and parsley in them, they are like a pecking block for them and really do smell minty and parsley!! I am actually going to see if this has an affect on eggs and poop!!
In the pet shop my DH thought I was mad, spotted the treats and as soon as I saw the package and that it contained mint I thought of you straight away and automatically said " Ooh speckledhen was talking about mint in chicken feed" I got a very weird look and "speckledhen"
He dosnt get the whole BYC thing !! Then said you talk about mint in chicken food
gig.gif
He thinks I'm barking mad or should I say clucking mad.
Bahahahahaha, no they never understand it. I still get bewildered looks and glazed expressions when I do the "chicken talk"
gig.gif

Bahahahahaha,   no they never understand it.  I still get bewildered looks and glazed expressions when I do the "chicken talk"   :gig

LOL.... I know the feeling, he thinks I'm crazy but what he tends to forget is that my chicken obsession is his fault!! It was his great idea to get a couple of hens for the garden because he knew someone who was selling a cheap coop and run. So got the coop and a couple of hens and as normal the novelty soon wore off with him and my son so it was left to me to care for them. I was bird phobic convinced they were going to peck my eyes out and flap and claw me. But they grew on me and as they say the rest his history :yiipchick

Does 20g/kg mean they added 20g of peppermint per kg of feed? Or per kg of bird weight? I assume the former, but I'm not sure.

right I tried them with a peppermint leaf and I've never seen a chicken look quite so disgusted with me in all my life. I think I shall definitely stick with using them as chicken coop pot-pourri.

I can imagine them going for something so potent tasting unless it was well hidden in their feed and they couldn't avoid it...

it would have to be very well hidden, and my hens usually like odd tasting herbs, they love cress and basil but mint was a complete no no.

Back
Top Bottom