Peppermint Leaves as Food Additive: Article from World Poultry

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Just in case you don't belong to this site, I found this quite interesting: http://www.worldpoultry.net/Layers/...11-14|Peppermint_in_hens_diet's_-_the_effects

Quote:
001_rb-image-1643108.jpeg

A total of 150 Hy-Line Brown laying hens (64-week-old), were assigned to five treatment diets including dry peppermint leaves at 0, 5, 10, 15, or 20 g/kg, respectively, for 12 weeks.
Each treatment had six replicates with five hens each. Over the course of the trial, incremental dietary peppermint leaves significantly increased (linear, P<0.001) egg weight, egg production, egg mass and feed intake from 64–68, 68–72, 72–76 and 64–76 weeks of age. moreover, feed conversion ratio was linearly decreased (p><0.001) with increasing levels of peppermint in laying hens diet.>
The inclusion of 20 g/kg peppermint resulted in overall best performance. Eggshell percentage, eggshell thickness and Haugh unit of hens fed diets supplemented with peppermint leaves were greater (P<0.01) than that of hens fed the control diet.>
However, peppermint supplementation did not influence other egg quality characteristics like albumen and yolk percentages and albumen height. Notably, serum cholesterol significantly decreased (P<0.001) but serum total proteins increased (p="0.015)" with the increasing peppermint leaves levels. it can be concluded that. it can be concluded that peppermint leaves can be used as an effective feed additive to improve performance of laying hens during the late laying period.>
[Source: Science Direct]
by World Poultry Nov 14, 2014

ETA: I had requested that this thread be closed, however, thanks to Terrie Lacy for her clean up so it may remain open! Please keep it civil and non-political.

Last edited:
thanks I didn't know that I knew you can't feed them citrus but not that the smell would be a problem. I'll take note for next year as it's winter now do not needing any pest control as it's too cold and damp. they seem to love the lavender tho.
You can feed them citrus fruit. Most just don't like it much. I wonder where those rumors get started. Citronella is different from citrus fruit. It's a very strong smelling aromatic.

Hi there speckledhen!!
I found some chicken treats at the pet shop with mint and parsley in them, they are like a pecking block for them and really do smell minty and parsley!! I am actually going to see if this has an affect on eggs and poop!!
In the pet shop my DH thought I was mad, spotted the treats and as soon as I saw the package and that it contained mint I thought of you straight away and automatically said " Ooh speckledhen was talking about mint in chicken feed" I got a very weird look and "speckledhen"
He dosnt get the whole BYC thing !! Then said you talk about mint in chicken food :gig He thinks I'm barking mad or should I say clucking mad.

wonder if the smell does them any good? At this time of year all my peppermint plants have died back for the winter but I often use aromatherapy in the coop for my ladies. a wee drop of lavender and chamomile and some orange and citronella to keep pests away, I think I might try adding a few drops of peppermint oil, make it smell nice and Christmassy for them if nothing else.

Interesting. I would be curious to know what factors are responsible, to see if it would be worth trying for our flock. Also, I wonder what the control diet was, and if it matters whether the leaves are dried or fresh. Laying is down now, and we're just riding it out until our chicks are old enough to lay and we can cull...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom