peqacock too lean for winter

janl

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
marshall, Michigan
I just had a peacock die, seemingly without symptoms. The person doing the necropsy said he was too lean and that this may have caused his death at the end of this cold winter. I know he had access to plenty of food and I alternate various chicken layer brands which are basically the same; all supposed to be complete feed. My question is this: should I supplement basic layer feed to increase the bird's fat on their bodies?..if so,.... what?....scratch, maybe? I have had a flock of chickens, guineas and peas for about 5 years now and this is the first sudden death I have had, but I certainly don't want them to be too lean to be warm through a Michigan winter. All in all we've not had a terrible winter in terms of low periods of low temps this year.

thanks...jan

I use Meat Bird feed made by Nutrena. It has more protein than layer. Scratch grain would not fatten them up.

Try using dog or cat food.. I feed my turkeys, peacocks a 27% protein dog food as well as meatbird and some cracked corn mixed in.

I give a handful of dog food to my ducks and geese also along with cracked corn and duck pellets.

nothing to do with what use r talking about but these r my friends now whit peacocks

76532_jacks_chickens_031.jpg

and these r myn

76532_jacks_chickens_027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom