Percent of hatching shipped eggs!

That sounds awful.... ....
hugs.gif

Shipped egg orders of any kind aren't cheap. =(

What is your incubation method?
I have a tsc incubator...

Do you hatch the dry method. I've hatched eggs for 40 years. I always did the wet method. This fall I tried the dry method. It works great. You put the eggs in but no water til day 18.
I have been doing the dry method with this hatch. But had to start adding a very small amount of water to my Janoel auto incubator because the humidity was only at 5 & the air cells were getting too large too soon. The other incubator is a cheep styrofoam still air incubator. The humidity has stayed around 20% & the air cells look normal for this stage.

I have had 120 shipped quail eggs in the incubator... not one hatched... I've had 4 dozen chicken eggs shipped, none even developed... 50 Geese eggs and 1 developed and hatched.... My luck is bad. Is there some sort of secrete to this?
Shipped eggs are a gamble, but there are some things you can do to try and maximize your chances. First, ask how any prospective seller packs their eggs for shipping. Just getting to you unbroken is not always enough. The shells can be completely intact and the insides still scrambled beyond repair. Here is a wonderful thread to read about experiments in egg packing and hatching results. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738943/the-great-egg-shipping-experiment
The next thing is to understand that shipped eggs often need to be handled differently than non-shipped eggs during incubation. Shipped eggs should be allowed to rest, undisturbed, upon arrival. Some people let them rest at room temp for 24 hours, others put them straight in the incubator, but don't turn them for 24+ hours. This is to allow damaged air cells to settle and hopefully have a chance to reattach. When it comes to hatching time, it is best to keep your shipped eggs upright (I put mine in an egg carton) with the larger dip in the air cell tilted slightly more upward.
This article has tons of info on hatching in general, and a section devoted specifically to hatching shipped eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

I have had 120 shipped quail eggs in the incubator... not one hatched... I've had 4 dozen chicken eggs shipped, none even developed... 50 Geese eggs and 1 developed and hatched.... My luck is bad. Is there some sort of secrete to this?
Did you have any make it to lock down with the quail eggs? I know they’re hard to candle…

Back
Top Bottom