Percent protien for older keets?

Quote:
Adult Guineas don't utilize more than 16% protein in their diet (16 weeks is considered adult age since they can reproduce at that age). Sure you can keep them on higher protein feeds and they will do just fine (and I do this during the cold months, I use 24% and 22% game bird pellets and crumbles), but they usually do not need it and just pass the extra protein (and my $$$ in the process lol). Right now you could ween them over to a Turkey Grower feed or even Purina Flock Raiser if you want, and come springtime you can put them on any poultry layer feed before they start laying (or you can put them on layer feed sooner, it's up to you).

Great! I will do as you said and ween them to Flock Raiser (20% protein) right now and in the spring, I will switch to layer feed.

Thank you.

thumbsup.gif

Opps I stand corrected on the starter. I will call the hatcheries tomorrow and see what they say.

Okay, here's what I got. I won't name names just in case since I was calling for my flock and didnt mention sharing the info on the interwebz.

One big name hatchery feeds:
0-4 wks gets 28%
4-10wks gets 24
10 to adult gets 18

Another big name hatchery does this:
0-8 wks gets 26%
8-slaughter (12/13/14wks) gets 18-20%

A fair difference, but since I'd rather feed purina than the other local choices, I'm going to stick with the 20% and not stress. They might do a little better with 24%, but that's okay.

Hatchery 2 also noted that fat birds did not lay as well.

Quote:
Thanks for posting that info. Interesting differences, (and I am sure it has a lot to do with what's readily available and pricing in each area), but it's nice to see that both big name hatcheries use pretty high protein starter feeds for at least the first 8 weeks (a major point that lots of people argue about - whether or not young keets do need or don't need a high protein diet).

I like Purina feeds too because they are pretty easy to find, but they really need to step it up and produce a crumble that's in between their 30% and 20% (and just as available!). I don't want to wean my keets down directly from a 30% down to a 20%, and hand mixing feeds for weeks to aim for a certain protein % can be a pain in the hind end
hmm.png

Quote:
Thanks for posting that info. Interesting differences, (and I am sure it has a lot to do with what's readily available and pricing in each area), but it's nice to see that both big name hatcheries use pretty high protein starter feeds for at least the first 8 weeks (a major point that lots of people argue about - whether or not young keets do need or don't need a high protein diet).

I like Purina feeds too because they are pretty easy to find, but they really need to step it up and produce a crumble that's in between their 30% and 20% (and just as available!). I don't want to wean my keets down directly from a 30% down to a 20%, and hand mixing feeds for weeks to aim for a certain protein % can be a pain in the hind end
hmm.png

Mixing 30 and 20 percent feed at a ratio of 1 to 1 will give you 25 percent. FWIW

I don't raise meat guineas, Mine are free range after 16 weeks. I keep them to help with the bugs. When the Garden stuff gets tall I turn them in it and they chase bugs all day. Anyway I feed mine Black Rooster run though the blender for the first 6 weeks then start mixing it with the regular feed. I hatched out 45 eggs with two hens this year. Kept a few to grow up with the others. So just my opinion a good Game cock feed would really put the meat on with them caged. Mine are slim trim bug eatin machines LOL Also my Ducks And Geese get it too.

Back
Top Bottom