1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    How big around and what shape is the best for perches? Also, how high? Thank you!

2. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    A 2x4 with wide side up works reall good. Its flat for their feet. I have the ones in the coop about 20 inches over my nest boxes which have I poop boards on. The roost I have in the run is about 3 1/2 ft off the ground.[​IMG][​IMG] Hope this helps.......

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    love your habitat.....
    your chickens are verrry lucky:thumbsup

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your silkies may want a very low perch or not use one at all, from what I've read. If the chickens get big and heavy enough, especially with a breed like orps, they may want it lower, or even want a shelf.

Chickens usually prefer to fly horizontally off a roost, unless they decide to walk down something like a ladder. How high depends partly on how much room they have to get down. My roosts are 30" and they fly about 6' out to get down. Then there's the one that roosts 6' off the floor, but she is young.

Some people use tree branches, but chicken feet don't wrap around a thin perch the same way most other birds' do. I think they do better with the 2x4 as mentioned, or maybe a nice fat tree branch, something like that.

5. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

My roost is about 4 feet off the ground. Its a 2x4 (on the flat side) and works great in the winter for keeping their feet warm. I also have a ramp up to it which they do use. I might have a pic..

[​IMG]

I don't know if its 'best' but they use it and seem to enjoy it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by