1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.
  1. Hennysmother

Hennysmother In the Brooder

May 31, 2013
    My hens ysed to sleeping and perching in a big cedar tree! Have utilised an old galvanised steel shed for them as they are getting older and need more comforts ! The first perch is 1/2 meter high and the second perch above 1 meter ... is the top perch too high ? ?? The pecking order has been top hen, top perch in the tree ! But i have concerns about the top perch being too high for them causing injury when they jump down ??? Previously they would fly out of the tree ! Any advice anyone ??

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Songster

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    If they flew out of a tree, I don't think they will get hurt when they jump down from the perch you provided.

What breed are your hens?

3. Hennysmother

May 31, 2013
    The two big girls ( laying) were given to me as pullets one black, one red so i wouldnt hazard a guess as to what mixed breed ! The other three are Lavender Araucanas and one Silver laced Wyadotte ( old now, not laying) mother of Lavenders! she sleeps on the floor or in the nest box on the floor as her legs so short like a bantam hen! the Lavenders on the bottom perch so far. Love them all ! Thanks for your opinion Bullit ... They seem to be managing perches last three nights ...

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Sounds like the roosting bars worked out then? The tallest roosting bar I have in my coop is roughly 68" (so 1.72 meters [​IMG]) and my girls don't fly or jump down from it, the way my roosting boards are set up has kind of created a hop down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Hennysmother

May 31, 2013
    Thanks Chirpy Chiks1. Yes ok so far ... I have the perches staggered so the could indeed hop down from top perch to bottom perch to floor - even put ladder in between BUT my chicks have never used ladders or perches before !! Only branches so they will be learning new tricks :). Recent high winds and snow in our winter has prompted the change for my girls housing ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: