1. Hennysmother

Hennysmother Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    My hens ysed to sleeping and perching in a big cedar tree! Have utilised an old galvanised steel shed for them as they are getting older and need more comforts ! The first perch is 1/2 meter high and the second perch above 1 meter ... is the top perch too high ? ?? The pecking order has been top hen, top perch in the tree ! But i have concerns about the top perch being too high for them causing injury when they jump down ??? Previously they would fly out of the tree ! Any advice anyone ??

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    If they flew out of a tree, I don't think they will get hurt when they jump down from the perch you provided.

What breed are your hens?

3. Hennysmother

May 31, 2013
    The two big girls ( laying) were given to me as pullets one black, one red so i wouldnt hazard a guess as to what mixed breed ! The other three are Lavender Araucanas and one Silver laced Wyadotte ( old now, not laying) mother of Lavenders! she sleeps on the floor or in the nest box on the floor as her legs so short like a bantam hen! the Lavenders on the bottom perch so far. Love them all ! Thanks for your opinion Bullit ... They seem to be managing perches last three nights ...

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Sounds like the roosting bars worked out then? The tallest roosting bar I have in my coop is roughly 68" (so 1.72 meters [​IMG]) and my girls don't fly or jump down from it, the way my roosting boards are set up has kind of created a hop down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Hennysmother

May 31, 2013
    Thanks Chirpy Chiks1. Yes ok so far ... I have the perches staggered so the could indeed hop down from top perch to bottom perch to floor - even put ladder in between BUT my chicks have never used ladders or perches before !! Only branches so they will be learning new tricks :). Recent high winds and snow in our winter has prompted the change for my girls housing ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by