peregrine falcon

Massey

Chirping
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Will a peregrine falcon take a fully grown chicken or a 80% grown duck, I had one hanging around the chicken coop this morning,

Peregrines are primarily 'air hunters'. What you saw may very well have been a Coopers hawk, and a large hungry hen Coopers will take on a large hen or duck.

I have a picture on my camera I'll up load it tomorrow, not sure we have them type of hawks in Ireland. (Probably should have mentioned the bit about been in Ireland)

lau.gif
Ireland would have helped.
gig.gif
About to do a search on birds of prey in Ireland.

Yes, peregine's are nicknamed the duck hawk. They will come swooping in and attack a chicken or duck from a full dive. I raise mallards, and I was out in the yard one day when I looked up and saw a peregine in a full dive headed for my ducks. I was close enough that I was able to intervene and the falcon pulled up from the dive and perched on a nearby tree.

Post pics if you have them - they are beautiful birds in their own right, they just need to hunt somewhere else!

Yes, peregine's are nicknamed the duck hawk. They will come swooping in and attack a chicken or duck from a full dive. I raise mallards, and I was out in the yard one day when I looked up and saw a peregine in a full dive headed for my ducks. I was close enough that I was able to intervene and the falcon pulled up from the dive and perched on a nearby tree.

Post pics if you have them - they are beautiful birds in their own right, they just need to hunt somewhere else!
Red Tailed, Coopers, & Sharp Shinned hawks are sort of like an A10 Wart Hog ground attack fighter plane.

Peregrine Falcons are more like air superiority fighter planes. Peregrines communally reach speeds of 200 MPH in a dive or stoop when hunting. Any light skeleton bird struck at this speed is usually killed on contact, the fall kills it, or the falcon will follow it down to finish the job on the ground. I would not worry too much about your hens being taken by a Peregrine Falcon unless your poultry is in the habit of flying a couple of 100 feet or more off the ground.

Here is a video of one Peregrine Falcon ganging up on about 50 crows. I don't know why the crows didn't send out for about 100 more crows and make it a fair fight?
0.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if he was going to get a crow. I found this one. Pilot's view of a falcon. Action starts at 2:45 or so. The falcon takes a duck a few feet off the water.

Hi, I saw a pair of peregrine falcons near our home a few days back...then yesterday by sweet Cocolate Orpington bantam cockerel disappeared into thin air. It was very windy, so never saw a lone feather. I'm very sad. He was a favorite. (I say that about em all!) No more free range. Lost one a few weeks back to a mink. (Found that body) I've never had such bad luck in all the years I've kept birds. I'm truly wrecked about my only cockerel.
1f62a.png
he was a friendly, jaunty little guy.

Hi, I saw a pair of peregrine falcons near our home a few days back...then yesterday by sweet Cocolate Orpington bantam cockerel disappeared into thin air. It was very windy, so never saw a lone feather. I'm very sad. He was a favorite. (I say that about em all!) No more free range. Lost one a few weeks back to a mink. (Found that body) I've never had such bad luck in all the years I've kept birds. I'm truly wrecked about my only cockerel.
1f62a.png
he was a friendly, jaunty little guy.
So sad! I've lost 3 recently to probably coyotes. Never saw the coyote, but I can hear them at night. I've kept them cooped up for a few weeks now, and they miss free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom