Perfect first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roasted Chicken, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Very excited for our first eggs from our 18 week old hens. I think 3 out of our 13 girls are laying. I believe 2 gold sex links and one rhode island red. They are beautiful, healthy looking eggs, although sometimes small. Someone told me that first eggs are normally deformed in some way. I do like thinking that my girls are well spoiled overachievers, but... Is this true?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    CONGRATS on those first eggs![​IMG]Have you eaten them yet? I'm sure they'll be delicious! [​IMG]

You know, all pullets are different. Sometimes their first eggs are misshapen, discolored and very odd looking, whereas other times they are almost normal. My pullets' first eggs were pretty normal looking too. I guess our pullets are just masters from the beginning. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you! We did finally eat them. After waiting so long, it felt very wrong to crack their beautiful little gifts. They were tasty, though. We are now enjoying checking the nest box for new eggs many times a day. We have hot Nor-Cal summers and I don't imagine it would be good for the eggs to sit out in the heat for long.

4. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Congrats! I remember when I got my first egg! I literally stared at it for an hour![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    This is my very first egg I have ever gotten from any of my chickens. I thought it was quite beautiful.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by