• Other

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sacri

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
Savannah Georgia
We lost most of our girls and our baby ducks to a fox attack last Monday. It was devastating. We have a dog that hangs out with the chickens but she isn’t outdoors all day. We are going to put up a fence and we want to get a protector. Which one is better and why? Outdoor dog? Donkeys? Guinea hen? Other?

I agree that the fastest and most economical and most reliable solution against ground predators is an electric fence, or electrified poultry netting.
Having a very safe coop and run are necessary, and then for safer outside activities, electric fencing.
I'm so sorry for your losses!
Mary

Can I ask a thing about this?
i see that a wild cat learned to pass the electric fence without taking the shock.
could a fox learn the same?
sorry for meddling :)
@Sacri i'm so sorry for your losses :hugs:hugs:hugs

Howard E has very good advice about electric fencing, and Premier1supplies is an excellent resource for advice and materials. I think if the fence is set up well, and baited at first, it works well. it won't keep out rats, weasels, or of course raptors though.
Mary

I agree electric fence or wire is the best protection. I also have netting over the top of the pens and concrete under the gates.
2014-11-18 17.08.29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom