Perfect Strangers (When can the new chicks meet the Hens?)

Thanks for all the great the advice. I think a couple of weeks exposure via a chicken wire barrier will be the way to go for us. Since our brooder is separated from the coop by a wall, we will go ahead and knock out part of that wall, put some wire up, and extend the brooder to meet the new opening. This will give the added benefit of more space for the chickies to run around in and grow, as well as giving everybody some face to face (er..beak to beak?) time to get used to each other.

I have a question as well. I have 6 hens and two roosters, the younger rooster isnt crowing yet and my hens are less than a year old. I am getting two speckled sussex hens in about two weeks that will be about 10 weeks old. How do i introduce them to my current flock? Just put them in the coop at night while the others are roosting? Make a seperate pen in the run so they can interact with out being together? all help would be appreciated

I just added my 2 little boys to the flock, 10 week olds.... If you read from the beginning of the thread I explain how I do it with no bloodshed or loss of life (so far). - I don't think I'd just throw them in the coop at night, I don't trust that too much....

frostymug: good idea, you're on the right track - or at least the track I followed
wink.png

I have a question as well.I have 3 10 month old Light Brahma hens
I hatched a light brahma roo for them.He is now 14 weeks old and in with 2 laced brama s about his age but they were hatched together and he wasnt .He seems so all alone as they pal together not him.he had apulket from his hatch i kept too but she had some problem and died unexpectly a few weeks ago leaving him alone.Anyway when and how do i put him in eith his own kind? He doesnt crow yet

Last edited:
How sad for him :(

First, let's talk about that pullet that died. Do you know what she had? - Your little roo has been exposed to something (unknown), do you want to put him in with others? Personally, I would. I want to breed for resistance to disease. Some people may not have that conviction.

At 14 weeks I'd put him in there....slowly. Put him in a place where they can see/hear each other for a few days. It can be in the run or in the coop. Then let them all out together - watch them. Or, open his pen so he can join them and return to his spot if he feels threatened. - He'll be ok before long - I wish my little roos were 14 weeks!

speaking of introducing chickens. i am getting 3 speckled sussex babies on friday and the guy said that he is 97% sure that they are hens/pullets . my question is how easy is it to sex speckled sussex at 8/9 weeks old

oooh, good question!

The only thing I can say is, look at the comb. If it's a roo, the comb will be pinkish and sit taller. If it's a pullet, the comb will have almost no pink or just a fleshy color and it'll be short or lower profile. Sometimes it's hard to tell unless you have one of each there to look at..
hmm.png

oooh, good question!

The only thing I can say is, look at the comb. If it's a roo, the comb will be pinkish and sit taller. If it's a pullet, the comb will have almost no pink or just a fleshy color and it'll be short or lower profile. Sometimes it's hard to tell unless you have one of each there to look at..
hmm.png

Well hopefully i wont have one of each to look at
gig.gif
I just want to have hens :} I am going to get them friday morning , as soon as i get home I will post pictures here and wait for the good news that I indeed did get three hens
fl.gif

I am working on intergating 4 9 week olds with 5 19 week olds. I sectioned a covered part of the run and put a temporary shelter for the younger girls to use. They can see each other and come to the dividers to check each other out. The older girls are far more interested in the young ones than vice versa. When I let the older girls out (or the young ones) into the pen to scratch in the grass and leaves I leave the others in the big run area that is next to the pen so they can see each other. I will probably continue this arrangement until the 9 week olds are closer in size and then see what happens. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom