Perfectly Formed Egg with Membrane and Tail on Outside

klunderwood

Chirping
Apr 30, 2018
Wooster AR
Hello Friends,
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I looked for a while and did not find it. I found this egg this morning with all the others. It is a perfectly formed and hardened egg, with a slippery membrane that trails off into a tail at the end. I believe it is from my older Buff. She as well as all my other chickens are acting fine and running around like normal. I have been keeping chickens for a couple of years myself and grew up doing it as well.
20191106_095716.jpg
Ideas? Thanks for all your wisdom!

Egg with a tail.
Does she have oyster shell available free choice?
If she's not acting off, then it's probably just a glitch and I would keep watch on her. Has she molted yet this year?
If she's having troubles with laying eggs, then I would give her 1/2 tablet Caltrate for no more than 3 days to see if that makes a difference.

https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

Yes, she just finished molting and she has shell available, plus they free-range. Thank you for your reassurance to just keep an eye on her. That's what I was thinking.

That shelled egg backed up out of the shell gland and got another coating of membrane.
Hopefully just a back-to-laying glitch.
You can get some funky eggs around(before and after) molting time.

Aart,
Thank you for your answer. That is exactly what it looks like and makes sense. Chickens are great resilient animals and very entertaining!

Back
Top Bottom