Performance and carcass characteristics of Delaware chickens in comparison with broilers

X 2 on the rooster behavior factor. A 2 lb Leghorn that is terrorizing all the rest tastes just fine and is worth dressing out to me, since I will be culling him anyway. Sometimes they are only 10 weeks old, while the nice mellow Orpington roosters are fine to 18 weeks old, and even as adults never really harassed the hens the same way. If you could get the egg production efficiency of a Leghorn from an Orpington, Leghorns would be the endangered ones!
Good points. I used to butcher as soon as I heard the first crow. If a raccoon can find something to eat on a young bird, I think I can too.

so you are saying that I can raise meat ducks instead of broilers? Hmm. I am also a backyarder that tried barnyard surprise hatching this year. The cockerels made it to 12 weeks before becoming a nuisance. I could have pushed my luck, but had 10 of them starting to compete. Took out the loud ones and the quiet ones filled the void.

Pekins or Muscovies? I heard Muscovies only hiss, but they will fly. Guess I will research Pekins. I'm raising quail at the moment, but love wild duck. Chicken is nice, quail is closer, but duck!

A lost Rouen stayed with us for a couple of weeks. Since she was so friendly, the family decided she was a pet. WE rehomed her. :rolleyes: In short, she was loud and constantly calling. Pekins are quieter? You have piqued my interest.
Not exactly quiet, quieter is a good way to put it! The quacking is just not as loud as crowing, and not at night or early AM! Pekins grow fast, they are ready to process @ 7-8 weeks, do not crow, eat a lot if you keep some to breed, though! People don't like all the work to pick them. I think it's worth it, duck is soooo tasty:drool! Duck is so expensive, most people only get it at restaurants. I never raised Muscovy, but I have met some and they are BIG! Quiet, not even a quack. They are popular in AZ, and in our Craig's list all the time. Very good at hatching from what people here who raise them tell me.

Good points. I used to butcher as soon as I heard the first crow. If a raccoon can find something to eat on a young bird, I think I can too.
These are the ones I'm looking at: https://www.metzerfarms.com/PekinDu...D=P&CustID=24514305&BirdType=Duck&Breed=Pekin
They have a lot in the site about raising them for meat. Feed conversion is not as good as the broilers in this article, but better than a lot of heritage chickens @ 2.29 according to the chart on their site.

I never raised Muscovy, but I have met some and they are BIG! Quiet, not even a quack. They are popular in AZ, and in our Craig's list all the time. Very good at hatching from what people here who raise them tell me.
Muscovy Ducks get Huge Fast, really fast and they are not even bred for Meat, I wonder anyone was working on a Broiler Line of Muscovy ducks.

They don't Quack but hiss alot

Muscovy Ducks get Huge Fast, really fast and they are not even bred for Meat, I wonder anyone was working on a Broiler Line of Muscovy ducks.

They don't Quack but hiss alot
I think that they do not need a broiler line, they get big fast anyway. They are good for meat, I know some who raise them for meat. I like a smaller young duck. A 7 week Pekin dressed out at ~5 pounds is what I want! From the Metzer web site they are 7 lbs. live wt. at 42 days.

Back
Top Bottom