Perkin duck cant walk!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Missiluvmyducks, May 19, 2017.

1. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017
    Hello everyone, I have a duck that cant stand upright, he waddles around. I have done just about everything. I have given it niacin and brewers yeast. I have also mixed his food with better duck food. Me and my mom give them healthy human food for them. Fruits, tuna, chicken and greens. But nothing seems to work. I am now starting to give it magnesium for its bones and muscle health. It hurts my heart because we might have to put him down. Im not quite sure what are other duck will do or act without him. Any suggestions will help guys. Heres some photos.

Attached Files:

2. prez6

prez6 Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    Missiluvmyducks likes this.
  3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Has he always been like this? It looks like it could be splayed leg with the way his legs are going off to the side like that.

How much niacin are you giving? What are feeding as a regular feed? Healthy treats are fine but they shouldn't make up a majority of the diet.

4. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017

5. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017
    No he hasnt. When he was a baby he was perfectly walking and standing. I feed them dumor poulty. Chick feed, with 20% protein and I mix it with gamebird showbird feed with 24% protein. And I give him about 500 mg of niacin in his bowl of water.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What kind of niacin are you using? What type of bedding are they on?

7. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017

8. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017
    I posted a pic of the niacin and I use cedar shavings.

Attached Files:

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Flush free is not the kind you want to use, so stop using that kind and pick some up that isn't flush free.

Flush free is supposed to be timed release. Works fine for humans, but in ducks it will be out of their system before they've have time to absorb it. Which means giving it to them is useless as they don't actually get any niacin from it.

Cedar is also not good for birds. While it won't be contributing to this leg issue, birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and the smell put off by cedar can damage them. Switch to pine, it's much safer.

10. Missiluvmyducks

Missiluvmyducks New Egg

May 19, 2017
    Well this is great information thankyou very much. His poop is white and watery could that be from the niacin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by