Permanent Things for Chickens to Do?

They don't have a dust bath, we tried but one chicken kept eating the sand
I have never put in a dust bath, mine dust bathe in dirt. They decide where in the dirt that will be. Before they were domesticated thousands of years ago they took dust baths in dirt.
How do you create a dust bath area?
Give them access to dirt. If they want a dust bath they will manage. If they don't have access to dirt it might be a challenge.

I have 8 chickens, who are pretty bored and mad for most of the day.
I don't know how big that run is for 8 chickens. Or how old they are. Or how big that coop is. Or what that "mad" looks like. What kind of behavior are you calling "mad"?

Several times on here I've seen people describe their coop or run as big or something like that. They really weren't big for the flock they had. To me one of the best boredom busters is lots of room. Lack of room leads to bad behaviors.

I don't know where you are located or what kind of weather you may be experiencing. In really hot weather mine like to hang out in shade. In truly cold weather mine do not like a cold wind hitting them. By cold weather I mean close to freezing or below. I don't know your conditions or what you have to work with.

Some people put a grazing frame in the run.

https://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

If you put a compost pile in the run they will greatly enjoy turning it for you with their scratching. They really love the creepy crawlies and other bits of food they find.

Many chickens love to perch. Things they can perch on adds to the quality of what room you have. Having a bit of clutter, things they can hide under, behind, or over can also improve the quality of your room.

Chickens also do a lot of resting. They may eat until their crop is filled then just go lay down somewhere, usually in the shade or under some cover, until it is digested, then they go get more. Just because they are inactive does not mean they are bored. That's kind of why I'm interested in what your "mad" looks like. It may be something besides boredom.

I don't mind if they eat it, but if they do, no dust bath. How do you create a dust bath area?

I have never put in a dust bath, mine dust bathe in dirt. They decide where in the dirt that will be. Before they were domesticated thousands of years ago they took dust baths in dirt.

This.

Chickens are supposed to eat bits of sand and gravel for grit. They often like to choose their own rather than eat what you provide in their grit feeder.

Chickens are supposed to dig in the dirt and make dust baths. Mine LOVE to excavate new holes and frequently move their dustbaths from one location to another for reasons only another chicken would understand.

@aart gave you one useful link. Here's another with things I've done for my birds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-“chickens-101”-articles-don’t-mention.76003/

Also, a big pile of raked up leaves, pine straw, and/or other yard debris or a straw bale with one tie cut will provide them with days of entertainment.

Thanks everybody! Here's what I will probably do: (I'll wait some time between each thing, of course)

a) add a few more perches to the coop
b) maybe put in some straw or leaves that I rake...
c) create a chicken swing
d) create grazing frames or sprouts.

Thanks everybody! Here's what I will probably do: (I'll wait some time between each thing, of course)

a) add a few more perches to the coop
b) maybe put in some straw or leaves that I rake...
c) create a chicken swing
d) create grazing frames or sprouts.

Don't forget the things to create hiding places and line-of-sight blocks.

Maybe you could take some cuttings from trees/bushes to put in the run? They could entertain themselves with it if it's big enough to hide under or perch on... I would think changing up their environment once in a while with some kind of enrichment (like the others have mentioned above) would definitely help. I love watching the zoo shows on Discovery and it's what they do constantly for their animals.

I give my ladies watermelon when it's hot, grubs, meal worms and other treats even though they free-range in my yard. I gave my three week old chicks a little mirror to look at while in their little run, and it seems to help keep them entertained. They are learning how to perch on a small roost, so multi-level perches are up next.

Back
Top Bottom