Permanent...yet moveable?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDailey, Jul 8, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Me and the BF are attempting to plan out my chicken coop. I want it to be very stable and sturdy and pretty much a permanent structure. But the BF wants it to be moveable. We're also in the process of building a house but it's in the very early stages. I would prefer the coop to be near the house where I can walk out each morning and collect eggs and just see my birds in general. But because the house isn't finished BF doesn't want to make a permanent coop right by the construction site. This is understandable.

But I would prefer to build a one time coop and not have to build another later on down the road.

I think for the coop we'll just put the legs in cement blocks for stability, we can always move it with the tractor later.

But for the run I'm not sure what to do. I don't like the idea of NOT actually securing all the sides of the run to each other. That's just asking for a clever raccoon to pull them apart somehow and get in.

This isn't just a little coop and run for 3 or 4 chickens. It's supposed one big coop and covered run divided down the middle. I have 24 chicks. I want to be able to put them in seperate pens and make two little flocks instead of one big one which is why the coop and run will be split right down the middle.

Any ideas?

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Put the coop on 4x6 treated skids with beveled ends, run a cable through them so you can move it.

Build your run in panels like a dog kennel. Use screws or bolts to connect them so it will be easy to undo and reassemble elsewhere, semi permanent.
    A lot of people here build their coop in panels in the garage then assemble it on site. Just do it with your run.

Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to build something really big enough for 24 chickens that was moveable. Perhaps you can find a spot about 50' to 100' from the house that would not interfere with construction? When we built a few years ago, the trucks and such all pretty much used only two sides of the house. Granted, they need room to turn and such, but depending on your land layout, this might have been feasible; it would have been quite feasible where we built. It's not like you will have to shovel snow to get to the coop. Mine is probably 200' from my house, not really that far, though if I built another it would be closer, not farther.

What I feel works best in our hot areas is not really a coop but a three sided structure with an attached wire pen, so they get maximum breeze. In Texas you will also want all the shade you can get, so that may influence where to put the coop. Your chickens will have trouble with the heat and will never notice our so-called "winter." Here is a thread about hot weather coops:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163417

4. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Heat was another concern for me as well.

I like the panels idea for the run.

5. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    There are some great coops on there! I definately saw some that are exactly what I'm wanting so I printed them out to show BF. That's how I want them and he'll just have to figure out how to make it moveable. lol

6. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Mobile hen houses on hay wagon running gears.

[​IMG]

7. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    I was going to say use an old hay wagon as the base but TDM beat me to it. There was one for $450 on CL recently that I should have bought to do the same thing. You could find an old camper to use or find a utility trailer to build your coop on. Good luck.

Wayne

8. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on the lookout for an old boat or utility trailer to use as the base for a new coop. I just don't want to commit to a permanent structure and it'll be nice to be able to move it around where I want them to tear up the ground, and give them some shelter out where they currently wander to free range.

You could also do something like a Klene Pipe structure http://www.klenepipe.com/store.asp?pid=17599&catid=19824 -- metal tube frame and you bolt on 2x4's and add siding to that. They are on skids, you can pull them around with a tractor. They have some smaller/shorter ones if you call for a brochure.

-Wendy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Quote:We are doing similar with screws that can be undone and each side is its own individual pannel. Put on top of a raised platform/floor. Moveable if had to be, but hopefully not. Could be carried by 6 men maybe in 2 parts. But ours is also only 4x8.

10. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Iam building a 8x10 coup on skids so I can move it if needed. However, I don't plan on moving it but who knows. with it being on skids I can drag it with the truck. I used large heavy eye bolts on each outside skid so I can attach a tow chain. in position it will sit on blocks to keep it off the ground and somewhat level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by