Permethrin 2nd dose? Egg withdrawal?

Peter.J

Chirping
Dec 14, 2017
New Mexico
So I found what i’m Pretty sure are lice eggs and some lice around the vents of a few of my chickens. Treated them today with spray on permethrin, sprayed all around the bird (except for the head) with attention to the vent and under the wings. Also treated the coop/run.
What time frame do you all recommend for a 2nd treatment, and should 2 treatments be sufficient?
Also any ideas on egg withdrawal? I’ve read anywhere from 7 days to no egg withdrawal. I kind of think eggs might be just fine since this is more of an external treatment, i doubt they really absorb much if any of the permethrin...
Thanks for any tips.

There is not an egg withdrawal when using permethrin on your birds...that I know of.
I would re spray them in 7 to 10 days.

So I found what i’m Pretty sure are lice eggs and some lice around the vents of a few of my chickens. Treated them today with spray on permethrin, sprayed all around the bird (except for the head) with attention to the vent and under the wings. Also treated the coop/run.
What time frame do you all recommend for a 2nd treatment, and should 2 treatments be sufficient?
Also any ideas on egg withdrawal? I’ve read anywhere from 7 days to no egg withdrawal. I kind of think eggs might be just fine since this is more of an external treatment, i doubt they really absorb much if any of the permethrin...
Thanks for any tips.
I don't know about egg withdrawal but when my chickens got lice i treated them twice four days apart. I didn't wait to eat any eggs, but maybe a week or two to be safe. Don't quote me on that. On your next treatment make sure to get their neck feathers good that's another area lice like to hide.

Give me a few minutes to find something I read about there not being an egg withdrawal with permethrin.
BBS

Yeah, it seems like most official sources say no egg withdrawal; the only time i see an egg withdrawal recommendation seems to be on a forum or something. It would make sense that there isn’t one; it is just a topical spray that kills external parasites. Not to mention, permethrin is in human lice shampoo, de loosing powder etc, so it must not be too bad...

Thanks Kiki, the last article is the best advice; no withdrawal but wash the eggs. This makes the most sense, since they will be setting on the eggs with the permethrin feathers and also that i sprayed the egg boxes. I will probably wash all eggs for now until about 7 days after the last treatment. Normally I don’t wash eggs to preserve the bloom, but i think this is an acceptable deviation from that practice...

Thanks Kiki, the last article is the best advice; no withdrawal but wash the eggs. This makes the most sense, since they will be setting on the eggs with the permethrin feathers and also that i sprayed the egg boxes. I will probably wash all eggs for now until about 7 days after the last treatment. Normally I don’t wash eggs to preserve the bloom, but i think this is an acceptable deviation from that practice...
Permethrin is used in gardens...where humans grow their food.
Just saying.

What do the lice egg sacs look like after treatment? I treated my girls a few days ago and the egg sacs are smaller and VERY hard. Are they dead?
I am not sure, I've not had to deal with lice yet.
Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom