Permethrin spray

I spray a few squirts around vent and belly, one under each wing, on back of neck.
It will spread a bit around a bit on
I spray a few squirts around vent and belly, one under each wing, on back of neck.
It will spread a bit around a bit on skin.
It appears that I need to use permethrin on my birds. I have a bad infestation. What do you use to spray with and is there any length of time I should not use the eggs?

It appears that I need to use permethrin on my birds. I have a bad infestation. What do you use to spray with and is there any length of time I should not use the eggs?
Infestation of what...lice?
Mites would be a different story.
Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

full

No withdrawal.

Last edited:
so is Permethrin 10 used only if there is an infestation or can it be used as a preventative? Looking for something to use as a preventative. Checked my girls when we brought them home 1.5 weeks ago and again last night and don't see anything BUT I don't want anything either

There is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat.

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
I believe I have a lice problem. The base of the feathers are full of nits. Should I do the permethrin spray?
Worked here for lice. Need to retreat every 7 days until you see no live lice.

so is Permethrin 10 used only if there is an infestation or can it be used as a preventative? Looking for something to use as a preventative. Checked my girls when we brought them home 1.5 weeks ago and again last night and don't see anything BUT I don't want anything either
Not a good idea, can cause resistance....then it's worthless if you really need it.

I wouldn't try to use any insecticide as a preventative. If you do it's likely the pests will acquire an immunity to it. You should only treat if you find any pests. I do put poultry dust in my nest boxes.

Electra PSP is quite expensive but will work. I use permethrin which also works well and costs way less. The problem I believe is that some people don't mix the concentrate strong enough so it doesn't work as well. I'm sure this has probably posted previously in this thread but I will post it again.
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

I recently added *quite* a few new birds from two breeders who were down sizing. Both were NPIP certified and I was short on housing for all the different ages I acquired, so I took a chance & penned them separately within my very large main coop & run. One of the breeders warned me 2X to check regularly for lice *after* I housed them together. Now I'm feeling worried... I haven't noticed any lice or mites yet, but should I treat them all as if I did? Could I just add a small amount of Permethrin powder to their favorite dusting spots as a preventative & then spray directly if I see anything?

Back
Top Bottom