Permethrin v. Pyrethrin

campingshaws

Enabler
7 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
I noticed a bird with mites in my flock. Quickly inspected everyone and only a few seem affected. I scrubbed out the coop and told DH to get permethrin from the feed store. He came back with pyrethrin. I can't find as much about it; I mixed it 1 tbsp to 1 gallon and have some in a spray bottle. I used it to kill mosquitoes on the porch, but I'm nervous about the chickens. Should I just spray under the wings and on the vent, or should I dip them? Can I soak the coop in it?

Permethrin is the synthetic, "souped up" version of Pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is naturally occurring in some plants and it has some insecticidal properties, but Permethrin is a mass-produced chemical that does not meet the requirements to be considered organic. It is still fairly safe, at least as compared to organophosphates like Malathion.

In short, nothing wrong with using pyrethrin, it is at least as safe as permethrin, but might not control the pests as well. No harm in trying it since you have it, I would, and only go search for permethrin if that doesn't control the mites.

Permethrin comes as 'Poultry Dust' at the feed store, and is labeled for use on chickens. It works well, just wear a really good dust mask if you are dusting your birds. I spread the dust in the coop under the bedding too. Mary

I am treating mites for the first time too, although now I realize some in my flock probably have had mites for months. My bad for missing that, anyway, any suggestions for how to dust the birds efficiently? I have a flock of 45 divided between 3 coops, so I need some way to easily dust all of them that won't take hours!

I did a major coop clean-out last weekend, dusted the coops with permethrin poultry dust, put in fresh shavings and rubbed the dust all over the roosting bars. I dusted the vents and under the wings of everyone, but I ended up with poultry dust all over myself which can't be good. Any suggestions?

And finally, do the mites die off during cold weather?

I use Ivermectin injectable, either orally or on the skin, 1 ml. per 80 lbs. body weight, on each bird. Then either permethrin or carbaryl on the coop. ONCE I dusted all my birds (35 or so) without a super dust mask, and didn't do well. Emergency room visit, asthma flairup, not fun. I tried the dust in the bag, bird in the bag technique and it was a mess! Be careful with any dust! Mary

In short, nothing wrong with using pyrethrin, it is at least as safe as permethrin, but might not control the pests as well. No harm in trying it since you have it, I would, and only go search for permethrin if that doesn't control the mites.
This is one of the cases where using the synthetic is significantly safer than the natural.

They have similar toxicity, but the synthetic is significantly more effective - because of this, it is dosed at much lower concentrations.

This is one of the cases where using the synthetic is significantly safer than the natural. 

They have similar toxicity, but the synthetic is significantly more effective - because of this, it is dosed at much lower concentrations.

I forget which is which, because I thought from reading the pyrethrin was the synthetic. I diluted per the bottle's instructions at 1 tbsp of pyrethrin to 1 gallon water. I put that in a spray bottle and got husband to help. He held their feet and a towel over their heads. I sprayed the vent and underneath each wing. They're all acting fine today, so they don't seemed poisoned. I checked one for mites (the one I saw them on originally) and didn't notice any. I'll check again in a few days.

Permethrin is the mass produced active ingredient found in Pyrethrum which is the natural ingredient found in Mum and Marigold flowers that has been used for

perhaps 2,000 years as an insecticide.

By some peoples' level of logical reasoning Pyrethrum is deadly because Napoleon Bonaparte dusted the French Army with Pyrethrum in the form of snuff like

powdered flower pedals to kill body lice. Then almost 200 years ago on June 18th 1815 at the small Belgium town of Waterloo, his Pyrethrum abuse caught up

to Napoleon and cost him 33,000 members of his army in killed, wounded, and missing. Do you think that the Pyrethrum had anything to do with this or do you like the evil Monsanto instead blame this blood bath on cold British or Prussian steel?
hide.gif

Last edited:
I forget which is which, because I thought from reading the pyrethrin was the synthetic. I diluted per the bottle's instructions at 1 tbsp of pyrethrin to 1 gallon water. I put that in a spray bottle and got husband to help. He held their feet and a towel over their heads. I sprayed the vent and underneath each wing. They're all acting fine today, so they don't seemed poisoned. I checked one for mites (the one I saw them on originally) and didn't notice any. I'll check again in a few days.
Dear Campingshaws, Do you remember what percentage of pyrethrin was in the bottle before you mixed it with water? Was 5 years ago but would love to know. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom