Permethrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
All birds have lice. All the time. There is no such thing as a bird, wild or domestic, that does not have lice unless they've been recently treated for lice. I never said the rest of our birds had no lice.

Furthermore, Permethrin is not only toxic to cats (check the label on the bottle if you don't believe that) but it is also toxic to beneficial insects such as honeybees, butterflies, moths, and so forth. I will never ever spray or dust the entire premises with Permethrin.

Next time you use it, think about what you are doing.

Really, I've got plenty to do besides quibble about teeny statistics.

Here's the study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7343077/

Based on that study, I personally would not eat eggs or the meat of treated chickens for at least 3 weeks after treatment. I don't care that the bottle does not specify withdrawal period. Think what you like, but Insecticides are dangerous.
Yes, we've already established that your level of acceptable risk is extremely low - the amounts found there are Less than in the study I previously linked.

If you lived your life by similar levels of acceptable risk in other common endeavors, you would be paralyzed by fear.

You've given up wheat? grains generally? nuts, fruit, beef, cow's milk, cheese, a host of green leafy vegetables? and you feed your birds a diet absent in such things as well?

You may choose not to use permethrin on your birds, but lets not pretend that has anything to do with a science based approach to the use of permethrin generally - as the trace amounts found in egg yolks after treatment are far lower than the levels acceptable in a host of other foods neither yourself, nor your birds, likely avoid.

Ignorance may be bliss, it may even be reasonable, but you are swatting at flies while elephants stomp about the room.

I hate to tell you, but yeah, they do. if birds have lice it does not mean that they are in poor health. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_louse#:~:text=Bird lice may feed on,many kinds of bird lice.

Ectoparasites were found on 80 percent of the flocks surveyed, and lice were the most common and abundant. Six different species of louse were found on the chickens, and some individual chickens had hundreds of lice. Sticktight fleas were found in only 20 percent of flocks, but infestations could be quite severe.
That figure comes from this study-

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/53/3/707/2222170

https://www.cabi.org/animalscience/news/24773

of ectoparasites on backyard kept chickens "Five birds on each of 20 different properties were surveyed " so not all chickens, let alone all birds.

Ironically in that study they sprayed the infested chickens with "10 ml of liquid pyrethrin solution " to remove and count the parasites.

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source of information.

Those are probably big flocks that aren't monitored like typical backyard flocks. I've had lice on my birds twice in 20 years. Otherwise they don't have lice. If you know that your birds have lice and choose to just ignore it, that's 100% neglect. Just as letting your pet dog live with fleas and worms would be. A parasite is a parasite. I wouldn't ignore lice on my child, lice on my birds, or fleas on my dog.

I wouldn't assume all chickens have them either. They're super common, yes. That doesn't mean every chicken has them. Dust bathing helps prevent them. So does keeping wild birds out of the chicken living a

Yes, we've already established that your level of acceptable risk is extremely low - the amounts found there are Less than in the study I previously linked.

If you lived your life by similar levels of acceptable risk in other common endeavors, you would be paralyzed by fear.

You've given up wheat? grains generally? nuts, fruit, beef, cow's milk, cheese, a host of green leafy vegetables? and you feed your birds a diet absent in such things as well?

You may choose not to use permethrin on your birds, but lets not pretend that has anything to do with a science based approach to the use of permethrin generally - as the trace amounts found in egg yolks after treatment are far lower than the levels acceptable in a host of other foods neither yourself, nor your birds, likely avoid.

Ignorance may be bliss, it may even be reasonable, but you are swatting at flies while elephants stomp about the room.
The main point I was trying to make was that Permethrin is toxic to cats and beneficial insects. Gee, if it wasn't, why would the manufacturer say it was? If it's not toxic to people, why are there warnings on the bottle?. Name calling...calling me "ignorant"..I believe is not allowed on this forum.

There's a reason that I spend less and less time on BYC. Some people are obsessed. That's your privelege, I suppose. But just to clarify....I've had chickens since way before BYC existed. Most of the people that started posting on BYC when it first became a thing are not even around anymore. Back then, there were friendly discussions, and both sides of of any issue were discussed. There was no name calling or implying that other people in any discussion were abusive to their animals. Believe me, I spend more time taking care of my flock than I do my husband. We have a reputation in our community for having happy healthy beautiful birds, and people seek us out locally because of that. I've had many people to whom I've sold birds, that have contacted me to tell me how much they enjoyed the ones that we sold them. To accuse me of being "ignorant and abusive" because you don't happen to agree, or are so obsessed with being right that you are not even reading all of my posts, or anyone else's, is wrong. This has been an issue with BYC that others have brought up on other forums, also. How sad that some people have nothing else to do but hang out on BYC for hours and hours and play one up with everyone else. Years of experience certainly has value.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone here name calling or accusing anyone of anything. Just a friendly discussion. (Unless I missed it which is totally possible - I can't multi-task to save my life)... Some people just aren't warm fuzzy people. They're straight to the point people. That doesn't mean they're being hostile in any way. :confused:

I didn't see anyone here name calling or accusing anyone of anything. Just a friendly discussion. (Unless I missed it which is totally possible - I can't multi-task to save my life)... Some people just aren't warm fuzzy people. They're straight to the point people. That doesn't mean they're being hostile in any way. :confused:
OH really?
" If you know that your birds have lice and choose to just ignore it, that's 100% neglect"
"I literally do not have the time or crayons to explain this to you."
"Ignorance may be bliss, it may even be reasonable, but you are swatting at flies while elephants stomp about the room."

OH really?
" If you know that your birds have lice and choose to just ignore it, that's 100% neglect"
"I literally do not have the time or crayons to explain this to you."
"Ignorance may be bliss, it may even be reasonable, but you are swatting at flies while elephants stomp about the room."
By "you" I mean anyone. I wasn't speaking to you directly. I use the term "you" very loosely. I stand by what I said. If anyone knows they have a parasite problem and chooses to ignore it - that's neglect. I never said anything about abuse.

That's a line in my signature. It has nothing to do with you or anyone else here.

The last quote I missed, but I wouldn't take it personally.

All of your "Oh really" and "I hate to tell you" comments are rude.... yet you dont see me crying. Sounds to me like maybe your feelers get hurt too easily by taking everything personally. To be on the internet you need to take tone and context with a grain of salt. Don't just assume people are attacking you. Nobody here was that I could tell.

I’ve had great luck using ivermectin for mites/lice, until my pigeon flock got feather lice. Since these lice mainly feed on feathers, not blood, I’ve been unsuccessful with treating them with anything other than permethrin spray. I’ve heard that Elector PSP is also good for feather lice, but I haven’t tried it yet since it’s been out of stock each time I’ve checked online.

I’ve had great luck using ivermectin for mites/lice, until my pigeon flock got feather lice. Since these lice mainly feed on feathers, not blood, I’ve been unsuccessful with treating them with anything other than permethrin spray. I’ve heard that Elector PSP is also good for feather lice, but I haven’t tried it yet since it’s been out of stock each time I’ve checked online.
Elector PSP will be the next thing I try if there ever is a next time! I hear that stuff is amazing.

This thread has been locked pending staff review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom