Permethrine Resistant Pests

Carbaryl is no longer approved for chickens here, so I'd avoid it.
Mary
Mary, as far as i'm aware of Sevin or Carbaryl has never been an approved treatment for chicken mites in this country although it is still an approved treatment in other countries.

There is a long list of treatments for chicken mites that have come and gone over the years all the way from Black Leaf 40 to Sevin. The same is true of worm medicine. Every time a treatment proves either safe or effective the Animal Rights organizations raise objections because in my opinion (with good evidence) these organizations would rather see every chicken on Earth die a painful and lingering death than see one chicken baked, boiled, broiled, fried, or fricasseed.

Yes, I am treating because the mites are actively present and I wanted to make sure that going forward I'm not building up resistances in these pests that will make it harder to deal with in the future.

Sounds like the next step is to try and suffocate these SLM's. If I don't get good results with Petroleum jelly I will try some ivermectin paste.

I am located in the Western North Carolina Appalachian's. I've only sprayed my coop down one time with permethrine in the past 5 years. This is the first year I've had issues like this with mites. Today I gave all of the birds a dip in the permethrine (I have about 30 chickens.) I'm going to be spraying the coop with it as well.
You need to re treat both birds and coop.
ONE treatment/spray will not rid the red mites.

You may kill most of the adults with that one treatment but that one treatment did nothing for all the babies that continue to hatch.
You have to kill the babies before they lay more eggs which is a never ending cycle, if that makes sense.

Which permethrin product have you used?

Did you have to mix it with water?
If so how much of each did you use?

I recently chatted with someone that was using way too little permethrin mixed in with water...which is why they couldn't get rid of their bugs.

We fixed their problem by giving them the correct dose mix amount.

Concentrate on spraying the birds in their coop, and their coop. Trying to spray the entire yard will kill so many beneficials, and not get the mites, it's a very bad idea.
Using the permethrin at the right concentration, and repeating in two weeks or so, will do the job.
Wild wrens and sparrows, at least, carry the mites and lice, and free ranging chickens will pick up infestations sometimes. Plan to check at least some of your chickens, at night, with a flashlight, every week or three, so you can treat again if needed.
My big rooster is a mite magnet! I'll find critters on him sometimes, and nowhere else. Everyone still gets treated. We were at it last night!
Confining a home flock in a totally closed coop isn't something most of us will want to do, so dealing with mites, etc, is a trade-off we make.
Mary

So what would y'all do to rid the mites off of stumps and such around the yard?
This is what I use to control pests around the house, inside and out. 20180617_095919.jpg .
I used it last month to spray a stump that had a swarm of termites flying out of it.
I put it on heavy spray and covered the whole stump. I avoided spraying the grass around it. 20180617_095519.jpg My hens visit that area. I waited a day before letting the hens out. Use when its dry outside.
I also spray the threshold of doors that lead outside and where the foundation meets the frame of my house. It lasts up to 12 months inside. Click on the second Pic and zoom in to read about outdoor pests. I have had this bottle for around 5 years, so the formula may have changed. GC
ETA; Shake before using.

This is what I use to control pests around the house, inside and out.View attachment 1433867.
I used it last month to spray a stump that had a swarm of termites flying out of it.
I put it on heavy spray and covered the whole stump. I avoided spraying the grass around it. View attachment 1433888 My hens visit that area. I waited a day before letting the hens out. Use when its dry outside.
I also spray the threshold of doors that lead outside and where the foundation meets the frame of my house. It lasts up to 12 months inside. Click on the second Pic and zoom in to read about outdoor pests. I have had this bottle for around 5 years, so the formula may have changed. GC
ETA; Shake before using.
Thank you for sharing. My son's house has termites, but no chickens... and well, every stump around my house probably does too. I've seen my chooks eating the termites, but of course they can't put a dent in them.

I've been looking into the use of Permethrine and have seen that pests can become resistant to Permethrine if used over a long period of time. What should you do to alternate treatments to prevent pests from becoming resistant to Permethrine? I've dusted my coop with DE before in the past and it didn't appear to help with pests at all, and caused some of the birds to develop respiratory issues and dry skin.
I use Elector PSP as a preventative.

You won't want to use that stuff and then have your chickens eat the poisoned insects!
Can you burn those stumps in place?
Mary
Ya, I won't actually use any chemicals I can avoid at my place. I might be able to burn one stump... but here in the redwood forest I'm sure the neighbors stumps have them as well.... I just leave the stump so they stay there instead of coming to my house looking for a new home.

I'm not as cautious as SOME people. But I do avoid most chemicals since I started raising chickens... and drinking our ground water. :)

Back
Top Bottom