Permethrine Resistant Pests

I used Gordon's Permethrine 10 from TSC and I followed the directions for the dosing. I don't remember the exact dosage though. I think it was 2 oz per gallon of water when spraying for an area with mites. When I sprayed I got everything in the coop as thoroughly coated as possible. Not retreating sounds like it was the issue.

This time I dipped all my birds in a permethrine dip. I followed the instructions for that which said 2 oz per gallon of water for dipping animals. I'm going to be following that up with a spraying of the coop and then in 2 weeks retreat with the same dosage on the dip and the spraying of the coop.

If I have issues resurge next year, I will probably alternate in Sevin so the bugs don't build a resistance to either treatment and I will rotate between the two whenever I notice an infestation.

I'm also going to coat the birds legs in Vaseline to see how that helps the SLM.

Using the Gordons 10 concentrate how often do you all spray both flock and coop for preventative maintenance.
I'm not seeing any on my 10 week old flock but I want to be pro active and prevent them from getting them in the first place.

As I have done and others in the thread have advocated, do not treat pests with chemicals preventatively, that's how they build an immunity to the chemicals. You have to wait until you start seeing signs of these pests being on your birds or in their coop before you start treatment, so that the pests are less likely to build an immunity. Keep in mind, this just isn't for the well being of your animals, but other farmers too.

If we create these chemical resistant pests, they go on to reproduce and eventually end up at other farms who then try to treat the pests in the same manner and it's ineffective.

You need to re treat both birds and coop.
ONE treatment/spray will not rid the red mites.

You may kill most of the adults with that one treatment but that one treatment did nothing for all the babies that continue to hatch.
You have to kill the babies before they lay more eggs which is a never ending cycle, if that makes sense.

Noted and will do. I'm positive I'm using the proper dosage and didn't retreat last year when I sprayed my coop, so I'm sure going forward with this information will make things easier!

Last edited:
I used Gordon's Permethrine 10 from TSC and I followed the directions for the dosing. I don't remember the exact dosage though. I think it was 2 oz per gallon of water when spraying for an area with mites. When I sprayed I got everything in the coop as thoroughly coated as possible. Not retreating sounds like it was the issue.

This time I dipped all my birds in a permethrine dip. I followed the instructions for that which said 2 oz per gallon of water for dipping animals. I'm going to be following that up with a spraying of the coop and then in 2 weeks retreat with the same dosage on the dip and the spraying of the coop.

If I have issues resurge next year, I will probably alternate in Sevin so the bugs don't build a resistance to either treatment and I will rotate between the two whenever I notice an infestation.

I'm also going to coat the birds legs in Vaseline to see how that helps the SLM.

As I have done and others in the thread have advocated, do not treat pests with chemicals preventatively, that's how they build an immunity to the chemicals. You have to wait until you start seeing signs of these pests being on your birds or in their coop before you start treatment, so that the pests are less likely to build an immunity. Keep in mind, this just isn't for the well being of your animals, but other farmers too.

If we create these chemical resistant pests, they go on to reproduce and eventually end up at other farms who then try to treat the pests in the same manner and it's ineffective.

Noted and will do. I'm positive I'm using the proper dosage and didn't retreat last year when I sprayed my coop, so I'm sure going forward with this information will make things easier!
I'd like to point out that you can user a higher concentration of this permethrin/water mix in the coop.
I am mobile right now so I can't copy and paste the exact amount but I know for sure it is more than just two ounces per gallon.
It is on the label itself.
If you have a problem I recommend using the higher amount for the coop.

Resistance in the making. ;)

Treating when you DON'T need too... poor choice. :( :oops:
There are tons of wild birds in my backyard due to the neighbor feeding them and I can tell that a lot of those birds have mites, always scratching and shaking. I also had a bird nest next to my kitchen and I got mites in my house, so I have sprayed inside and their coop and also under their wings and vent area 1 time, but had to spray multiple times in my home:( I check them every week because they were scratching a lot.

I also had a bird nest next to my kitchen and I got mites in my house,
Yikes!!

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-6-17_18-6-23.png

Back
Top Bottom