permit to raise woods or mandarins?

well you did!
lol.png

no seriously, that makes more sense, they arent meant for meat, ornamental only,
But pet when referred to migratory waterfowl can mislead folks, most will be tame enough to walk into the pen with with any trouble, but as far as being able to pet them, usually never happens, there are a few rare exceptions when the breeder puts forth a ton of effort to them, but by and large they are meant for lookin at only.

Quote:
I have had the same pair (I think, at least the female is the same because she has a bad leg) that return to a wood duck box to nest at my place. If I whistle just right they will come and accept food at various distances (none within reach of course) I am lucky to get dogs to come when I whistle and cats completely ignore me. So can you understand my confusion on pet status?

So what would one do if they bought wood ducklings not realizing you needed a permit, the person they were bought from never provided paperwork, I realize the "purchaser" in this scenario was lack luster on their knowledge on permits, but now realizes these guys would be better off in the hands of better equipped individuals, just wants the money back they paid for the the unsexed pair but now are illegal how would said person go about getting legal? Can they even get legal without original paperwork? The person. That they were purchased from is suddenly unavailable the ad may have been on craigslist (yea red flag, again purchaser was dumb) and the poster is no longer reachable. So the person whom purchased these duckling illegally now doomed to be illegal for life or is there a way for them to rectify their mistake?

So what would one do if they bought wood ducklings not realizing you needed a permit, the person they were bought from never provided paperwork, I realize the "purchaser" in this scenario was lack luster on their knowledge on permits, but now realizes these guys would be better off in the hands of better equipped individuals, just wants the money back they paid for the the unsexed pair but now are illegal how would said person go about getting legal? Can they even get legal without original paperwork? The person. That they were purchased from is suddenly unavailable the ad may have been on craigslist (yea red flag, again purchaser was dumb) and the poster is no longer reachable. So the person whom purchased these duckling illegally now doomed to be illegal for life or is there a way for them to rectify their mistake?
@A_Fowl_Guy might know.

The best thing is to contact your state department of natural resources and tell them your situation. They should be able to get things settled with the federal wildlife permit and a state permit. Worst case scenario is that you would have to surrender the birds. They are protected by the migratory bird treaty act and it is federally illegal to keep them without proper permits.

The best thing is to contact your state department of natural resources and tell them your situation. They should be able to get things settled with the federal wildlife permit and a state permit. Worst case scenario is that you would have to surrender the birds. They are protected by the migratory bird treaty act and it is federally illegal to keep them without proper permits.

Thank you, I assumed that would be the start. I'll contact them.

Back
Top Bottom