Permits and such

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chasing ducks, Jun 3, 2010.

  1. chasing ducks

    chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I figured I would post this up here for people who don't know about wildlife permits, I certainly didn't before yesterday. My husband is looking into getting wood ducks and a few other species so after reading a post by boggy bottom bantams I figured I'd better investigate what permits, if any, I might need. In my state (New Hampshire) I found out that I need a permit for wood ducks and other indigenous species of birds. No suprise there, however when I called the federal office (you have to have both state & federal apparently) I found out that you have to have a permit to not only buy and sell species indigenous to my state, but also birds like mallards and muscovies. Mallards are definitely on the permit list and muscovies are apparently in the process of being added as we speak. All birds on the list must be marked as well, either with wing pinioning, web tattoo or the removal of the back toe on the right foot. I have 2 muscovies that were not marked as little babies so now I have to look into web tattooing as that seems the most humane at this point. Also, I have to get an import/export license to bring ducks into my state that are on the permit list, including mallards and muscovies. If I sell any I have to provide paperwork to the state and the buyer as well as keep a record of my own too. Also, not sure how this is in other states, but mute swans are strictly forbidden in New Hampshire due to their aggressive nature and the fact that they tend to take over resources if they escape from you yard. Below I'll post a list of all the birds on the permit at this point in time. Like I said, muscovies are not on the list yet but apparently they will be soon. I know this doesn't apply to alot of people but I figured it's better to know then not know.

    Dendrocygna bicolor, Fulvous Whistling-Duck
    autumnalis, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
    arborea, West Indian Whistling-Duck
    Cygnus columbianus, Tundra Swan
    cygnus, Whooper Swan
    buccinator, Trumpeter Swan
    Anser fabalis, Bean Goose
    albifrons, Greater White-fronted Goose
    Chen caerulescens, Snow Goose
    rossii, Ross' Goose
    canagica, Emperor Goose
    Branta bernicla, Brant
    leucopsis, Barnacle Goose
    canadensis, Canada Goose
    (=Nesochen) sandvicensis, Hawaiian Goose
    Aix sponsa, Wood Duck
    Anas crecca, Green-winged Teal
    formosa, Baikal Teal
    falcata, Falcated Teal
    rubripes, American Black Duck
    fulvigula, Mottled Duck
    platyrhynchos, Mallard
    wyvilliana, Hawaiian Duck
    laysanensis, Laysan Duck
    bahamensis, White-cheeked Pintail
    acuta, Northern Pintail
    querquedula, Garganey
    discors, Blue-winged Teal
    cyanoptera, Cinnamon Teal
    clypeata, Northern Shoveler
    strepera, Gadwall
    penelope, Eurasian Wigeon
    americana, American Wigeon
    Aythya ferina, Common Pochard
    valisneria, Canvasback
    americana, Redhead
    baeri, Baer's Pochard
    collaris, Ring-necked Duck
    fuligula, Tufted Duck
    marila, Greater Scaup
    affinis, Lesser Scaup
    Somateria mollissima, Common Eider
    spectabilis, King Eider
    fischeri, Spectacled Eider
    Polysticta stelleri, Steller's Eider
    Histrionicus histrionicus, Harlequin Duck
    Clangula hyemalis, Oldsquaw
    Melanitta nigra, Black Scoter
    perspicillata, Surf Scoter
    fusca, White-winged Scoter
    Bucephala clangula, Common Goldeneye
    islandica, Barrow's Goldeneye
    albeola, Bufflehead
    Mergellus albellus, Smew
    Lophodytes cucullatus, Hooded Merganser
    Mergus merganser, Common Merganser
    serrator, Red-breasted Merganser
    Oxyura jamaicensis, Ruddy Duck
    dominica, Masked Duck
  2. aprophet

    aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    is the permit needed for simple possession(private possession) or for dealing in waterfowl ? the federal one is what I am asking about.
  3. chasing ducks

    chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Not to own but to import birds over 13 days old you do.
  4. goosedragon

    goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Yes you need one permit to keep a duck (usually provided by the seller) and a more complex permit to dispose of a duck by any means. This is just federal, state requirements vary by state.
  5. 1lpoock

    1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

    Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    For Ohio I have a permit provided by the person I bought them for the wood ducks. If I want to sell anything from the wood ducks (feathers, eggs, birds, etc.) I need to get a waterfowl sale & disposal permit for $70.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by