Perplexing eye problem -- one eye

del gallinero

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
In late September I noticed the left conjunctiva on my 4 month old Buckeye swelled. There was a little mucus every day. I separated her from the rest trying to protect the rest, but she wouldn't eat without them so I put her back . Funny thing is that none of the other pullets have had any similar symptoms. It's now November. I have tried an antibiotic antifungal antiviral spray for about two weeks -- no change. Then I took her to a bird vet who gave antibiotic drops, which I did for two weeks. Still no change. I can't figure what to do. She is not sneezing or showing any other type of symptom. She has always been very high strung compared to the other chickens I have (of different breeds). Being one of the watched Heritage breeds, I'm wondering if she is too inbred or something, which has made her weak mentally and physically. So anyway she is at the point of laying soon. I have finished her drops, nothing is better and I don't know what to do.
The coop has plenty of ventillation. She's out in the fresh air most of the day.

I bought some old timey stuff calledVt RX and it said how to treat something called EYE worm !!! by putting this stuff on a q tip
up in the roof of her mouth??? I don't know how likely it is that she would possibly have that. i really don't think I could do
what they say to administer the stuff. The vet checked her eye for scratches and said the eye was okay. Then she said that the pullet may have an autoimmune disorder that causes that. She suggested steroids, but I won't use them just to suppress symptoms. I'd like to know what is wrong with her. I'd like to know if I have overlooked something. I really don't know what to do
for her. Has anyone experienced something like this? She doesn't act sick, but animals can hide how they feel until it's advanced. If this doesn't clear up, then what? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would call Dr.Brown at firststatevetsupply.com and ask him about it. The only things i could recommend besides that is try using baytril or some other strong prescription antibiotic, eye drops - i use cipro or terramycin eye drops, and Dr.Brown told me that doing a nasal flush with la200 or tylan 50 a few times a day can help with any facial/sinus swelling.

Since the vet checked her eye for scratches, that eliminates eyeworm. Eyeworm will cause the the bird to incessantly scratch the eye causing blindness.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom