Pesky crow robbing nest

arr36

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
We've lost duck eggs from under a broody duck before, and this evening when I checked on my broody Buff Orpington hen, there were 2 of her 8 eggs missing (day 14, so pretty far along), and in their place was a pretty big stone - like, the size of an egg - and a telltale black feather. That pen only has Buff Orpingtons and a single white hen, so nobody with black feathers. I'm now thinking we might have to move her to a broody coop for the time being but it's her first time brooding and I worry that she'll abandon the nest. She's pretty chilled out though so might be ok.

Anyone else experienced a crow putting stones into a nest?! We might have to get the air rifle out over the weekend....

Never heard of a broody hen abandoning their nest...though I'm sure it happens. Once broody, they are usually pretty into it.

How the heck is the crow getting into the nest? Do you have a door wide open?

I was thinking she might not like being moved - I've had hens go off a nest when I've tried to move them to a safer spot before. This one is currently in the main chicken house with her three sisters and husband.

The crow can get in the house just up the ramp. I guess it flies down and gets in super quick.

Moving her will break the broody cycle this early. You might consider placing a cage of the nest site. She can still come off to eat and take bathroom break.

I have had American Crows take eggs as most hens do not protect nest except while actually on nest incubating. There are exceptions to that but not reliable method for most. Another other is to have rooster tied so he can get very close to nest. Mine will drive off crows that come to ground and seem to a a well developed concept of the nest sites importance.

I decided to risk it and move her. Thankfully she settled down really quickly into a large covered broody coop we had available so she's safe from the crow now. Hopefully her remaining babies hatch out ok.

Still need to deal with the crow....

Well, he did leave a trade...
1f60f.png

Back
Top Bottom