Pesky mosquitoes

BTi.

As natural as it gets.

Some countries are studying adding BTi to chicken feed, where some passis intact thru the gut, is deposited in the feces, and thereby innoculates the soil against a number of critters that like their larvae to spawn in moist soils, shallow standing water, or simply deep feces. See, for instance.

I fog my entire area with Talstar-P....after it dries it is completely safe for everything(except insects) to be in contact with. It is actually absorbed through the legs of insects when they contact it...also it cannot be transferred to something that eats the dead insects(chickens) I researched it before I started using it. I keep my flock penned up while applying it in the morning and let them out in the afternoon after being absolutely certain it's dry. We don't have mosquitoes at all...It's used by pest control companies for the very same reason....it's safe for everything upon drying.

Talstar-P is Bifenthrin, a slower acting class one Pyrethroid. In theory, its safer for fish and cats than pyrethrin/permethrin. Like permethrin, it can have a long half life in soil, where it binds more effectively to the ground, and thus constitutes a somewhat lesser risk of water contamination via runoff.

Overall, same general precautions apply. Don't drink the stuff, wash up afterwards.

Talstar-P is Bifenthrin, a slower acting class one Pyrethroid. In theory, its safer for fish and cats than pyrethrin/permethrin. Like permethrin, it can have a long half life in soil, where it binds more effectively to the ground, and thus constitutes a somewhat lesser risk of water contamination via runoff.

Overall, same general precautions apply. Don't drink the stuff, wash up afterwards.
I always dump and rinse any containers with water in them after fogging...I have a couple cats that hang around so I don't want them drinking the water or the chickens. If I can remember I normally turn the things over prior to spraying but I miss some occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom