Pest sprays: "Tick Killz" and Talstar?

Korzak

Songster
7 Years
Oct 25, 2014
Hamden, CT
Hi all,

We live right next to the woods, and there's a swamp/bog just over the hill from us, which is wet 70% of the year and about 200 yards from our backyard. We get a fair amount of mosquitoes and ticks in the yard, and want to try a pest spray this year.

A company that calls itself organic sent us a quote for spraying the yard with Tick Killz and Talstar. I'm not sure how safe these are, to be sprayed near our chickens and our garden.

Does anyone have experience with these? Or can you recommend 100% organic alternatives that work?

Thanks!!

Google them and see what's in them before you commit. Anything that kills ticks and mosquitoes will also kill every other insect around. I don't use sprays outside, rather use repellants on clothing, etc. But then, I'm not in The deep south! Chickens and guineas will eat a lot of ticks. Mary

Thanks! I did Google them, and the Talstar spray looks like it kills EVERYTHING, which I am not sure we want.

We'd love to let the chickens free-range, but we need a taller fence around our property, and to train our dogs better around the chickens :)

This is an old thread but I am replying in case anyone else lands here. I am terribly allergic (likely not the actual term but I have horrible reactions to bites and get literally dozens and dozens at a time regardless of what I use to repel them). We use Talstar P with great success and it is safe to use around chickens and the coops. The chickens should be out of the area of spray until it dries, but any dead bugs are safe to eat once dried. It is also safe for other pets. Talstar PL is NOT safe from what I have read. We have had great success with the Talstar P and buy online.

Back
Top Bottom