Pest sprays: "Tick Killz" and Talstar?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Korzak, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Hi all,

We live right next to the woods, and there's a swamp/bog just over the hill from us, which is wet 70% of the year and about 200 yards from our backyard. We get a fair amount of mosquitoes and ticks in the yard, and want to try a pest spray this year.

A company that calls itself organic sent us a quote for spraying the yard with Tick Killz and Talstar. I'm not sure how safe these are, to be sprayed near our chickens and our garden.

Does anyone have experience with these? Or can you recommend 100% organic alternatives that work?

Thanks!!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Google them and see what's in them before you commit. Anything that kills ticks and mosquitoes will also kill every other insect around. I don't use sprays outside, rather use repellants on clothing, etc. But then, I'm not in The deep south! Chickens and guineas will eat a lot of ticks. Mary

3. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Thanks! I did Google them, and the Talstar spray looks like it kills EVERYTHING, which I am not sure we want.

We'd love to let the chickens free-range, but we need a taller fence around our property, and to train our dogs better around the chickens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by