Pestcide Question

Marisa Constant

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2018
Our pest control company sprayed our fenced backyard where we keep our chickens despite us asking him to just do the front yard. He said he kept a 10ft perimeter around the coop but we like to free range our flock. He just sprayed within the last hour or two and we wanted to know if we could do anything to get rid of the pesticide from the grass. Could we run our sprinkler system to dilute it and make it safe for the hens? Any suggestions would be great!

Our pest control company sprayed our fenced backyard where we keep our chickens despite us asking him to just do the front yard. He said he kept a 10ft perimeter around the coop but we like to free range our flock. He just sprayed within the last hour or two and we wanted to know if we could do anything to get rid of the pesticide from the grass. Could we run our sprinkler system to dilute it and make it safe for the hens? Any suggestions would be great!
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry, I don't have the answer... but that's a heavy violation of expectation as far as I'm concerned. :mad: I'd fire them RIGHT NOW! :smack And let the company KNOW I was displeased with their error.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry, I don't have the answer... but that's a heavy violation of expectation as far as I'm concerned. :mad: I'd fire them RIGHT NOW! :smack And let the company KNOW I was displeased with their error.

We already told them we won't be needing them in the future since this happened, but unfortunately it doesn't remove the pesticides!

Our pesticide guy did the same thing but with a granular pesticide. When I confronted him about it, he told me to water it in or wait for it to rain. He also said, “it’s small, chickens won’t eat it.” Are you kidding me? One of my girls ate a screw-they eat everything! He couldn’t understand why I was upset and I finally had to block his number because apparently he doesn’t understand what “we no longer need your services” means. You can always report to the agency that oversees pesticide applicators in your state.

Edited to add: regardless of the pesticide used, absolutely do not let your chickens out until it’s completely dry. Once you know what product was used, you’ll know how to handle further. Our girls did not seem to suffer any ill effects from their exposure, at least as far as we can tell.

Last edited:
From Oregon State University: “Bifenthrin is low in toxicity to birds. There are potential risks for birds and mammals that eat aquatic organisms because bifenthrin can last a long time in the environment and it may accumulate in fish. Bifenthrin is highly toxic to fish and small aquatic organisms.”

From Oregon State University: “Bifenthrin is low in toxicity to birds. There are potential risks for birds and mammals that eat aquatic organisms because bifenthrin can last a long time in the environment and it may accumulate in fish. Bifenthrin is highly toxic to fish and small aquatic organisms.”

That's good. Should we wait a certain period of time before letting them out?

Back
Top Bottom