Pests you can't see and do not want!

Heme

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Parasitic infestation from bird mites are too small to be easily seen without magnification. Bird mites are most active from dusk till dawn, but can be active at other times, especially when disturbed. Mites are parasites that like to live under the chicken wings, attached to the tender skin. Female mites need blood to reproduce and draw nutrients from the network of veins. Moisture, heat, and CO2 attract mites and the breeding ground on birds is under the feathers. If you handle the birds, you too can obtain mites, receive bites and get a rash. Always Wash with soap and hot water after handling your hens. Never place your Face or Mouth against your birds for reasons mentioned. Kids like to Hug pets, so caution them against being too friendly with pet chickens.
Mites multiply quickly and they can be carried into your home where they thrive and are difficult to eradicate. I suggest when in a large coop especially, wear rubber boots and spray them off when leaving the area and do not enter your home or office with the boots on your feet.
Mites DIE when Diatomaceous Earth is prevalent. Ants, Mites, and other pests die quickly when DE is present because the substance dehydrates the creatures. Generally DE with its spike-like ridges clings to the soft under-body of the host mite, aunt, or other pest. The dry-matter DE simply draws all moisture from the creatures and they die of dehydration. DE will not hurt your birds or you as it is not a pesticide chemical. It is safe and has been used as a beverage to eliminate parasites in humans or animals. Although DE will not damage human tissue, it can irritate your lungs and make you cough if ingested. Best you wear a mask when scooping DE from the bag or container.
I trust this information is of use to you. Best wishes Lauren.

Talstar Chemical Spray is one method I am aware of. It can be used indoors and outdoors for control up to 3 months at a time. The chemical is said to be nontoxic and safe around animals and humans. Over 75 pests can be controlled by this chemical spray, thus it is not dedicated to mites alone.
Talstar has a long residual, so it keeps on killing pests for over three months after you've sprayed it. Plus, Talstar One is odorless, dries clear, leaves no stains, is non-irritating to the skin, and won't break down easily with rainfall if used outdoors.

Be VERY aware there are two ENTIRELY different grades of Diatomaceous Earth, one is essentially safe and generally termed 'Food Grade' the other generally termed 'Filter Grade' or not graded and can lead to lung and breathing issues and eventually silicoses due to it's extremely high crystalline content... Only use 'Food Grade' for pest control...

MeepBeep is Correct: Food Grade is advised. I should have mentioned that in my article. Thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom