Pet chicken

damokis

Hatching
Oct 8, 2021
I have one laying hen 14 week old that is a house pet amongst 3 pitbull dogs. Who would have thought!! The dogs are curious as much as she is curious, but they all get a long. Any who I wanted to know if its possible to bring another chick into our pet family. I donʻt want my Rice girl (the hen) to be lonely. Any opinions or comments I would greatly appreciate.

I'm not a big fan of house chickens but I'm sure it would work the same way as integrating new chickens outside. See but no touch setup for a while. Depending on the birds attitude will depend on the length of time you need to keep them in a see and no touch case.

I have always read/heard that chickens are flock animals and should be with other birds for a happy life. But I don't know about having a chicken in the house, either. IMHO, I think they would be happier outside pecking and scratching in the chicken run or back yard. I'm also the type of person who always washes my hands after tending my chickens, so I would not let them inside my house.

I have always read/heard that chickens are flock animals and should be with other birds for a happy life. But I don't know about having a chicken in the house, either. IMHO, I think they would be happier outside pecking and scratching in the chicken run or back yard. I'm also the type of person who always washes my hands after tending my chickens, so I would not let them inside my house.
I agree. I love my girls but they're gross. 😂

I had chicks in the house for almost 3 months, they were totally fine living indoors. But the amount chicken dandruff everyday was too much, plus it killed my laptop from all the dust. Ah well.

I think your better off with just 1 chicken inside, the dust won't be so intense like having two. And the poop would be manageable.

Having one chicken as a house pet is like having one dog as a pet. I have one dog. If I get two they will play together and I would be like a third wheel. And in responding you don't mention size of chicken. I have a cage for my dog which I confine him for short periods of time. As for the dust and other it is no different than having dog fur and dander. And the breed of chicken matters. Inwould recommend you stick to one chicken and read posts here before you get another chicken. I sincerely believe people can become addicted to having chickens and end up with more than they can handle. One day your hen will set on eggs. They won't hatch without a rooster. That might be time to get a baby chick that has been seed because you don't want a rooster at this stage. They just eat food. They don't lay eggs and can be mean. Get an air purifier with hepa filter.

I agree. I love my girls but they're gross. 😂
Hey guys, thanks for your response. So to clear things up my rice girl is not a house chicken. She has a coop outside and my home is an open door house because I live in a tropical area. I totally get the bird poop grossness out of raising a chicken, trust me I don't like it either.
She does roam everywhere and her coop door is open during sun light.

I have one laying hen 14 week old that is a house pet amongst 3 pitbull dogs. Who would have thought!! The dogs are curious as much as she is curious, but they all get a long. Any who I wanted to know if its possible to bring another chick into our pet family. I donʻt want my Rice girl (the hen) to be lonely. Any opinions or comments I would greatly appreciate.
I don't think Rice Girl needs another chicken but you might.

Having one chicken as a house pet is like having one dog as a pet. I have one dog. If I get two they will play together and I would be like a third wheel. And in responding you don't mention size of chicken. I have a cage for my dog which I confine him for short periods of time. As for the dust and other it is no different than having dog fur and dander. And the breed of chicken matters. Inwould recommend you stick to one chicken and read posts here before you get another chicken. I sincerely believe people can become addicted to having chickens and end up with more than they can handle. One day your hen will set on eggs. They won't hatch without a rooster. That might be time to get a baby chick that has been seed because you don't want a rooster at this stage. They just eat food. They don't lay eggs and can be mean. Get an air purifier with hepa filter.
I'm going to need a lot of advice. I've had chickens in the past. This time, I have 4 bantams that are pets. I have plans to keep them in a double decker bunny hutch outside in nice weather and convert a small closet as their bad weather haven. I have a pit mix that was a baby when I still had Geico(my hen). She is prey aggressive. I wouldn't trust her to be loose in the house/yard with them but I think she'll be a great guardian for the coop. Please share stories good/bad.

Back
Top Bottom