Pet chickens inside house...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Porlalee, Sep 9, 2010.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    As long as the chickens are happy................

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    People have all types of pets in their homes....dogs,cats rats,snakes,lizards,parrots....the list is long....so why not a chicken? The only reason I dont do it is because I (and my wife) finished changing poopy diapers many many many years ago and aint gonna start again !!

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:Personally I can't see how they would be. Kept indoors wearing diapers instead of scratching around outside in the fresh air for bugs like they should be? In my opinion it's not right or fair.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Heck I have 3 house chickens right now. Two out of three of my roosters live inside! Kernal and Krispy the LARGE FOWL white leghorns live down in the basement and then Tyson my serama lives in the living room. I had a few quail inside as well to.

Chickens that live or had lived inside the house:
    Kernal LF white leghorn roo
    Krispy LF white leghorn hen
    Sandy LF white leghorn pullet (RIP my dear)
    Iona LF white leghorn pullet and is now a hen (outside now)
    Coal blue OEGB (RIP my dear)
    Diamond splash bantam wyandotte pullet (RIP my dear)
    Pearl bantam white leghorn (outside now)
    Tyson serama roo

And I also bring everyone in everyday or so LOL They like to sit on the couch and dry off when it had been raining. I [​IMG] my birds

ETA: My birds don't wear diapers

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Only more cats could be worse

6. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:I love hearing that because I have two roosters as house pets. Both are bantams, a Silkie and a smooth Frizzle Cochin. I love having them around. They are pets.[​IMG]

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Amen!
    But if you want to change those diapers,. go for it,..

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a house chicken. HIs name is George. He doens't wear a diaper though. He would if I could make one. Gonna buy him one soon. The reason he became the house chicken is he was very slow to develope and all the other kids picked at him and called him names and I felt sorry for him because they would hurt him. She is lives in the house and is very grateful to me for it. He has his own bedroom (cage) with a tray so he can make all the mess he wants and I own a vacuume so when he decides to throw his food I just clean it up. He does go outside alot. He gets to roam the yard. It's the only time the kids aren't mean to him. When it's time to go to bed he will be waiting for me to scoot the others in their pen then I pick him up to come inside. I keep wood shavings in his (drip tray) floor and t keeps it from smelling like a chicken coop in here. He lives in the living room where we do. And on his non wet poopdays he gets to play in the living room with the dogs.

Yep, it's unusual but i'd rather have a chicken in my house than a pig. We once raised a goat in the house. Boy, I could tell you all some stories about that, that owuld make you laugh.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:ICK. I have dogs and cats as housepets, but they are also housebroken. Are your chickens housebroken, and if so, how did you train them?

Quote:Personally I can't see how they would be. Kept indoors wearing diapers instead of scratching around outside in the fresh air for bugs like they should be? In my opinion it's not right or fair.

Agreed.

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I love hearing that because I have two roosters as house pets. Both are bantams, a Silkie and a smooth Frizzle Cochin. I love having them around. They are pets.[​IMG]

I have an EE hen that will come in sometimes following me inside. She don't stay. Just loking for a snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by