Pet chickens inside house...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Porlalee, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Porlalee

Porlalee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    My hubby thinks I am crazy. He says it is totally unusual/uncommon for people to have pet chickens inside wearing diapers. Anybody have any idea how common it is? I have no idea. I also want to make aprons for my two girls, but wonder if it is safe... do they trip on them or peck at them, tearing fabric? I just think they would look so cute.. Anybody have a pattern?

1 person likes this.
  2. LauraT

LauraT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have to agree with your husband [​IMG]. They're chickens, not children [​IMG]

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:+1 !!

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They make a LOT of dust from their feathers. Kids just put smudges on everything and spill stuff.[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    +2, though many will disagree.
    My chickens are working pets, I wouldn't dream of confining them to diapers though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't let Canarys, Parakeets or Cockatiels(SP) in the house. Birds are just naturally a mess remember the phrase "You Dirty Bird", although I don't think it would be as bad as 50 cats. [​IMG]

7. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't think there is anything wrong with chickens as house pets. I've had them as house pets for about 20 years and always will. They are warm and cuddly and make the best pets. I prefer my bantams over dogs or cats anyday. They are friendly and sit in my lap. Wouldn't be without them.[​IMG]

I wish I knew more people with chickens as house pets.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The chickens will make a lot of dust in your home. Just be aware.

9. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:All animals make dust and many other things make dust. It's a pain, but just clean it up like anything else.[​IMG]

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Chickens in the house --- I say GO FOR IT ... I have 4 dogs inside and to some people they think I am crazy - but hey I make the payments , my critters are happy and I would not have it anyother way -

in my eyes pets are pets , we do not always understand why someone wants to be close to critters - like rats , some folks love em as pets - I personally would scream my lungs out if one walked into my house . If chickens do it for you then I say - enjoy

btw - I am new at the chicken thing , my girls are only 9 weeks old - my friends say the chickens will be in the house this winter , as I am such a softie.

love my birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by