Chickens as pets...it's overwhelming

LoCoHens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 7, 2018
Northern Virginia
Hi, I use this site as a great resource, but rarely post, but was just wondering if anyone else feels like I do.

I started with 3 backyard chickens 9 years ago, then over the years I had as many as 13 due to becoming a bit of a sanctuary for neighbors who needed to rehome. We're down to 7 and I will not get any more. They are pets and I'm nutty about animals in general so their care has often been overwhelming. I think I have an unnatural level of empathy for animals and it's in my DNA to do all that I can (my dad is a retired vet). Despite my best efforts (daily poop scooping in the coop and large grass yard, regular coop/feeder cleaning, organic feed, supplemented water, veterinary care when needed, etc.), it seems like there is always something wrong with at least one of them at any given time. And I know the pain of having contributed to several deaths out of ignorance. Right now, I have one with bumblefoot that after multiple vet visits, antibiotics, daily soakings and dressings, etc. the vet is suggesting surgery to open it up. All of this because the vet didn't get all the infection out the first time. I actually had a vet feel the bulge between her toes and tell me it didn't feel like pus because it was hard. I know that chicken pus is solid. I know what many of you are thinking, but I can't bring myself to open up the bumble myself. My local vet practice sees chickens, but obviously not with great expertise and the vets who will see chickens are leaving left and right because the practice is not well managed. I have another hen that after years of implants to keep her from laying due to internal issues I think is on her way out. And I just took a third hen to a vet practice over an hour away with more exotics expertise for a chronic ear infection that now requires three different meds.

It's a lot financially, but that's not the limiting factor. It's more the time and stress. I have a full-time job with a 4-hour roundtrip commute twice a week and I spend so much time on chicken care. I'm married, but I'm mostly on my own in the chicken care. I rarely go away because I don't have a pet-sitter who understands when something's wrong. Last time I took more than a weekend trip, I came home to a young Silkie on death's doorstep. The afternoon I got home I took her to the vet as an emergency, started treatment for coccidia, but she died two days later.

I don't know how to care less and don't want to, but it's impacting my quality of life. If I could find somebody who I knew would take stellar care of them, I would actually entertain the idea of rehoming the remaining and even continue to financially support their care if needed. I never imagined I'd get to this point, but it's too much sometimes.

Thanks for reading. Can anyone relate?

I think you're trying to be the best animal care giver that you can be and there is nothing anyone should criticize you for. But a different approach could be freeing for you. What if you just don't provide vet care unless the situation is extreme. I realized a few days ago that I actually financially come out ahead when I consider the cost of eggs vs. cost of caring for my chickens. I was shocked, I've never thought that could be the case because I consider the level of care and commitment that I make to be very high standard. The difference though is I don't take chickens to the vet. I would if I absolutely had to. And it's not at all about money, it's about allowing some things to just play out and taking care of other problems (like coccidiosis,) myself. When you have a great coop, run, free-range options, good feed and water, most chickens just thrive until it's their time. They then lived thier best lives under my best care. Being on BYC for as long as I have, I can say they could have had worse care! So... any way you can just make slight mental modifications for the win/win?? I feel for you. And I don't know what that wierd comment you got about Domestication is about but I wanted you to read something much nicer..... 🥰 🧡

I'm so sorry your chicken jouney has been distressing. I don't think you need to "care less". Maybe it's more about managing your expectations and understanding of livestock vs. pets. I love my chickens. I mean, I LOVE them. And I also understand that because of the *kind of animal they are, they will have issues from time to time. I know that if a chicken is to the point where *I* know its suffering, it's probably time to end its suffering (they're very good at hiding when they're ill until it gets really bad).

When I decided to get chickens, I knew tough choices would need to be made when certain issues pop up. I will do EVERYTHING I can to treat what's wrong, but if things get worse or don't improve relatively quickly, it is more humane to end their life with dignity. I had to let go of the idea that chickens can be treated like dogs or cats. I treat my girls with so much love and I am so thankful for the eggs they provide (and the endless entertainment). AND, I know that I only have so much control over their health. I'm doing everything I can to make sure they are happy and healthy, but sometimes 💩happens regardless of how well they're cared for.

This video really helped me, and gave me peace of mind about making tough choices while still enjoying chicken-keeping:

I hope you can find some peace, whatever you choose for your flock! 🥰

Last edited:
Hi. I totally sympathize with you. I've had chickens for 2+ years now. Started with 4. Lost one to EYP in Dec. Got 3 babies this spring.
I too feel like my schedule daily revolves around them. They have an auto door to their Run. But I don’t leave food or water out so I'm out there as soon as they are up. So I'm up at 4:30am putting their 4 platters of food together and 2 wateters (still integrating so I want to have multiple feeders/waterers for them). I pick up poop in the run and yard a few times a day.
Right now we are dealing with some rats so I feed them only when I can supervise. So schlepping food in and out all day.
They free-range in my suburban backyard but we sometimes have daytime raccoons. So I keep my windows open and don't turn on any music or the TV so I can hear any commotion outside.
As for illness...one of my girls is 2 months into dealing with an infection and previous broken egg inside. Giving her medication 2x a day.
My other girl has had respiratory issue. 6 visits to vet in 1 month! Xrays, bloodwork, ultrasound, and finally CT scan. Apparently a ovarian issue causing enlargement which is restricting her airsacs. She just got hormone implants. $4k in.

I will tell you that I got pet insurance on my 3 big girls last Dec. After spending almost $2k due to metal toxicity poisoning on one of my girls last fall. And although I know you say money is not the issue (for me as well for the most part), I will say it has taken a huge weight off of me. When something comes up that's not straightforward I can go without worrying about what the issue is and the care required may be.

I'm single so all their care falls on me. Luckily I work from home and have a very flexible schedule at least.

I'm sorry I'm rambling. More just want to tell you that you aren't alone in terms of feeling overwhelmed at times. I would suggest sitting down and thinking about what's important to you. The pros and cons of chicken keeping. And whether the benefit of their presence outweighs the burden. It's not going to be all good all the time. But it needs to weigh out.

Good luck :hugs

Hi, I use this site as a great resource, but rarely post, but was just wondering if anyone else feels like I do.

I started with 3 backyard chickens 9 years ago, then over the years I had as many as 13 due to becoming a bit of a sanctuary for neighbors who needed to rehome. We're down to 7 and I will not get any more. They are pets and I'm nutty about animals in general so their care has often been overwhelming. I think I have an unnatural level of empathy for animals and it's in my DNA to do all that I can (my dad is a retired vet). Despite my best efforts (daily poop scooping in the coop and large grass yard, regular coop/feeder cleaning, organic feed, supplemented water, veterinary care when needed, etc.), it seems like there is always something wrong with at least one of them at any given time. And I know the pain of having contributed to several deaths out of ignorance. Right now, I have one with bumblefoot that after multiple vet visits, antibiotics, daily soakings and dressings, etc. the vet is suggesting surgery to open it up. All of this because the vet didn't get all the infection out the first time. I actually had a vet feel the bulge between her toes and tell me it didn't feel like pus because it was hard. I know that chicken pus is solid. I know what many of you are thinking, but I can't bring myself to open up the bumble myself. My local vet practice sees chickens, but obviously not with great expertise and the vets who will see chickens are leaving left and right because the practice is not well managed. I have another hen that after years of implants to keep her from laying due to internal issues I think is on her way out. And I just took a third hen to a vet practice over an hour away with more exotics expertise for a chronic ear infection that now requires three different meds.

It's a lot financially, but that's not the limiting factor. It's more the time and stress. I have a full-time job with a 4-hour roundtrip commute twice a week and I spend so much time on chicken care. I'm married, but I'm mostly on my own in the chicken care. I rarely go away because I don't have a pet-sitter who understands when something's wrong. Last time I took more than a weekend trip, I came home to a young Silkie on death's doorstep. The afternoon I got home I took her to the vet as an emergency, started treatment for coccidia, but she died two days later.

I don't know how to care less and don't want to, but it's impacting my quality of life. If I could find somebody who I knew would take stellar care of them, I would actually entertain the idea of rehoming the remaining and even continue to financially support their care if needed. I never imagined I'd get to this point, but it's too much sometimes.

Thanks for reading. Can anyone relate?
I can relate but have had to give up my idea of chickens being pets...my husband reminds me all the time- they are not pets. Ive had to work against my animal-loving DNA and think of them as a way to self-sustaining and really appreciate their eggs. I try to keep them healthy and have learned alot through this forum but I really cant get myself all stressed out and have had to learn to cope witht his way of life. They dont really care for me except when i feed them or give them treats, they prefer to be with each other and I am just letting them be chickens. Good luck with your journey- animals teach us alot about ourselves and how nature works- its really amazing.

Hi. I totally sympathize with you. I've had chickens for 2+ years now. Started with 4. Lost one to EYP in Dec. Got 3 babies this spring.
I too feel like my schedule daily revolves around them. They have an auto door to their Run. But I don’t leave food or water out so I'm out there as soon as they are up. So I'm up at 4:30am putting their 4 platters of food together and 2 wateters (still integrating so I want to have multiple feeders/waterers for them). I pick up poop in the run and yard a few times a day.
Right now we are dealing with some rats so I feed them only when I can supervise. So schlepping food in and out all day.
They free-range in my suburban backyard but we sometimes have daytime raccoons. So I keep my windows open and don't turn on any music or the TV so I can hear any commotion outside.
As for illness...one of my girls is 2 months into dealing with an infection and previous broken egg inside. Giving her medication 2x a day.
My other girl has had respiratory issue. 6 visits to vet in 1 month! Xrays, bloodwork, ultrasound, and finally CT scan. Apparently a ovarian issue causing enlargement which is restricting her airsacs. She just got hormone implants. $4k in.

I will tell you that I got pet insurance on my 3 big girls last Dec. After spending almost $2k due to metal toxicity poisoning on one of my girls last fall. And although I know you say money is not the issue (for me as well for the most part), I will say it has taken a huge weight off of me. When something comes up that's not straightforward I can go without worrying about what the issue is and the care required may be.

I'm single so all their care falls on me. Luckily I work from home and have a very flexible schedule at least.

I'm sorry I'm rambling. More just want to tell you that you aren't alone in terms of feeling overwhelmed at times. I would suggest sitting down and thinking about what's important to you. The pros and cons of chicken keeping. And whether the benefit of their presence outweighs the burden. It's not going to be all good all the time. But it needs to weigh out.

Thank you, I really appreciate hearing from someone who seeks the same level of care. Sometimes I think I'm crazy. May I ask - what pet insurance do you have and are you happy with it?

Thank you, I really appreciate hearing from someone who seeks the same level of care. Sometimes I think I'm crazy. May I ask - what pet insurance do you have and are you happy with it?
Yes, I'd be happy to share the pet insurance information with you. It's with Nationwide.

https://mc9bsj012b7g46tfb-zv-r51-s7....com&state=VA&template=2021-pet-insurance-101

You can check out the link above for more info.

I could not be more happy with them! They make it really simple and never question why you've brought your pet to the vet. They pay out a claim within 3 - 4 days and I've never been asked any questions by them. Even though they've now paid out over $3k for my girl who has had the 6 visits.
I pay about $15 a month for each bird. Then there is an annual deductible of $250. After then they cover 70% after the deductible. If anyone keeps their chickens as pets, I'd highly recommend it.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom