Pet Mouse Thread!

DuckGirl77

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 19, 2016
New York
Anybody else with a pet mouse? Thomas wants to know how many friends he has!

Does anyone else think mice are cute, or am I alone here?
big_smile.png

I had pet rats for years and my wife convinced me to add pet mice. They were cute enough and almost immediately, I couldn't wait until they died. I was never happier to have pets with short life spans than when we had mice. A million percent different than rats and there is zero percent chance I ever own another one. I don't mind looking at them for a couple of minutes at the pet store though...

I had pet rats for years and my wife convinced me to add pet mice. They were cute enough and almost immediately, I couldn't wait until they died. I was never happier to have pets with short life spans than when we had mice. A million percent different than rats and there is zero percent chance I ever own another one. I don't mind looking at them for a couple of minutes at the pet store though...
lau.gif
I love all animals, so that will have to include mice!! I've never had rats before, but they are probably more friendly than my mouse. I can't hold him because he will get away and he's afraid of people. He actually did get away once, and was living in a dresser (which was in use at the time, by the way! Imagine opening it and seeing seed shells and mouse droppings and realize that the pet mouse is free!) He's really fast and he can jump super high, too. I guess it's because he's not from the pet store. He is a house mouse that I caught in our van when he was a baby. I will probably never do that again, but he's awesome, and I love him!

My room mate had some mice in college and they were really cute but they were super stinky! Even when she cleaned the cage, they still smelled terrible!

Last edited:
My room mate had some mice in college and they were really cute but they were super stinky! Even when she cleaned the cage, they still smelled terrible!
As odd as it sounds, the secret to having mouse enclosure that don't stink (and that's relative because they're nasty) is to not clean their cages often. Sounds weird I know, and I didn't believe it either, but when you clean it - the first thing they do is run around like crazy marking their turf. If you only clean portions of it at a time, and leave some old litter in - the smell isn't as bad as a completely fresh cage. I still dislike them,,,

As odd as it sounds, the secret to having mouse enclosure that don't stink (and that's relative because they're nasty) is to not clean their cages often. Sounds weird I know, and I didn't believe it either, but when you clean it - the first thing they do is run around like crazy marking their turf. If you only clean portions of it at a time, and leave some old litter in - the smell isn't as bad as a completely fresh cage. I still dislike them,,,
Oh, good, an excuse to not clean his cage often!
big_smile.png
Just kidding! Good idea, I will have to clean parts at a time - sounds easier, too!
Mine doesn't stink up the entire room because he's in an aquarium, not a regular cage. But you get too close, and this happens:
sickbyc.gif
th.gif

I've had hamsters before, but no mice. They don't sell them where I live, anyway, I'd rather adopt. But I think they're adorable, I love rodents.
love.gif

I've had hamsters before, but no mice. They don't sell them where I live, anyway, I'd rather adopt. But I think they're adorable, I love rodents.
love.gif
Yes, they all are so cute! I had a hamster, too, but he died, and this is the next rodent! When he dies, I might go back to hamsters, though! They are more interacitve with people!

Rats are infinitely smarter than mice, hamsters, etc. Better pets as far as training and being interactive as well..

0.jpg

0.jpg
Wow, that is so cool! I want a rat now! Neither my hamster nor my mouse were/are that interactive with people and intelligent. So, when the mouse dies, I want to see about getting a rat instead of a hamster. I don't know if it would work out, but it's worth a try! Thanks for sharing the videos. I've been converted from not liking rats to liking them that quickly!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom