Pet Peeves

Idunno that I agree with that. It leaves a lot on the contractor to make sure they police themselves, and I've met a LOT of garbage/shady contractors in my time. I totally see your point too, but I kinda feel like the reason "incidents" don't happen more often is because there's 2 parts in play and at least one of them isn't an idiot.
I have to agree.
When a mistake can mean someone's death or a whole building going up in flames, 2 sets of eyes is better than 1.
Good in theory. When I was an electrical contractor it was another expense (payoff). "Follow the money."
In '87 things were slow and I was working with a church trying to open a homeless shelter. I hooked up the service at their warehouse to get power for them. After several weeks the Power Company engineer pulled me on the side and said the City wasn't going to let them have power because they weren't making anything off of it.
The Homeless Racket involved the city getting Federal Grants and hiring NGO's to contract for building and operating shelters. I'm SURE money went in to pockets at each exchange. Live and Learn.

Good in theory. When I was an electrical contractor it was another expense (payoff). "Follow the money."
In '87 things were slow and I was working with a church trying to open a homeless shelter. I hooked up the service at their warehouse to get power for them. After several weeks the Power Company engineer pulled me on the side and said the City wasn't going to let them have power because they weren't making anything off of it.
The Homeless Racket involved the city getting Federal Grants and hiring NGO's to contract for building and operating shelters. I'm SURE money went in to pockets at each exchange. Live and Learn.
Gross. People are the worst.

I heard a story years ago, yet another corruption one. When Haiti experienced their devastation, a local contractor got his crew together, some of his large equipment, & went there by ship to help. They also had containers of donations, bottled water, clothing, tents, generators, washing machines, portable cooking stations, medical supplies, essentials, food, etc. 3 churches were also involved. It was a wonderful thing! The Hatian people were so grateful. The contractor had bulldozers & his crew were clearing debris, then set to the task of building new structures since there was no saving the old dilapidated, which were poorly built to begin with. The devastation was so severe, basically inferior structures had collapsed, then torrential rains turned it all into colossal, filthy mud hole. They were cleaning, clearing & had set up tents, a hospital tent, a food tent, cleaning, showers, bathing and laundry tents, and tents for families to temporarily live in while reconstruction was going on. They were there about 3 months and were suddenly told to leave. Why? Because "someone" high up in the political bullshit chain, had contracts in place now...all kinds of money & funding were going to be "funneled" through this one "newly created entity" so all future activity on Haiti would be done ONLY through them, and only by that entity's approved contractractors. Anyone else...sorry, doesn't matter if you're doing all of this work for free, you gotta go! From that point on, the actual help that Hatians received was minimal. The construction to rebuild? Came to a screeching halt. Those tents meant to be temporary housing became the only housing those poor victims ever saw!
I am not going to name names, I'm not going to try and start a bickering thread or political mayhem, but I do find it interesting that the recipients of the monetary benefits from the Haitian disaster were not Haitians, they were the greedy American politicians that set this whole fiasco up. Very sad, indeed!

So...another peeve...scammers & greedy bastards that take advantage of victims in devastating circumstances to line their own pockets.

Last edited:
Let me tell another story because I don't want to leave it sounding hopeless.
After Hurricane Katrina DW and I were sent to S. Mississippi to open health clinics at work camps. We met all kinds of wonderful people who 'follow disasters'. They probably make good money but they do some great work under trying and dangerous conditions.
One guy who was not a professional storm chaser just decided to load up his backhoe and tools and take off for the coast to see how he could help. He tried to volunteer with the Govt. and was shunned. He hung around however and learned that people were being turned down for a trailer because they didn't have a working septic system. He got together with some guys and designed a system they could build with some barrels, PVC pipe (and a backhoe.) They took off on their own preparing the sites so people could get their trailers.
As DW would point out, 'When things look bad, we Have to help each other.'

When my morning routine is disturbed.

Backstory:
The older I get the more time I need in the morning.. this is for staying home and physically going into the office. Currently that time is 3 hours. Have chores, paperwork, getting ready and a SOLID hour of drinking coffee and chilling.
Depending on the day of the week the chores can be either longer or shorter and same with the paperwork. The coffee drinking is an hour or longer, if time permits. YET, if something, mainly an outside force, attempts or does cut into my coffee drinking time.. it is a bad day. (If my coffee also gets spilled within that hour time frame, that is also grounds for having a bad day).
So far here is the disruption tally during my coffee hour this morning (and I am still in that hour FYI):
1) I have to go into the office early
2) my dog jumps on the bed and has rolled in chicken poop
3) Twisted my ankle
4) No/very little cell service
5) Since I have to leave earlier to work.. my coffee hour is being shortened by 15 mins

Yes, this is a pet peeve from someone in the first world but if I am going to kick @$$ at my jobs.. I need my routine, lol.

When my morning routine is disturbed.

Backstory:
The older I get the more time I need in the morning.. this is for staying home and physically going into the office. Currently that time is 3 hours. Have chores, paperwork, getting ready and a SOLID hour of drinking coffee and chilling.
Depending on the day of the week the chores can be either longer or shorter and same with the paperwork. The coffee drinking is an hour or longer, if time permits. YET, if something, mainly an outside force, attempts or does cut into my coffee drinking time.. it is a bad day. (If my coffee also gets spilled within that hour time frame, that is also grounds for having a bad day).
So far here is the disruption tally during my coffee hour this morning (and I am still in that hour FYI):
1) I have to go into the office early
2) my dog jumps on the bed and has rolled in chicken poop
3) Twisted my ankle
4) No/very little cell service
5) Since I have to leave earlier to work.. my coffee hour is being shortened by 15 mins

Yes, this is a pet peeve from someone in the first world but if I am going to kick @$$ at my jobs.. I need my routine, lol.
I hear ya! I get up earlier just to have my coffee & bathroom time. If either is interrupted, it's NOT a good day. 😆

Last edited:
Another one:

The sound of people talking. Especially lots of people talking.

That’s why BYC is so great-you can chat without having to hear people.
The sound of talking when you're in bed trying to get some sleep. Or the sound of someone's boombox TV system Soundwaves pounding my freaking house walls at 1am when I gotta be up by 5am. Low pitch sound waves...omg who the freak knew they could travel so far?! I'm talking acres! Really? So damn annoying!!! 😡

Back
Top Bottom