Pet "Pop-up" tent from Ikea for nesting boxes * pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daysiechicks, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    I picked this up at Ikea today. I figured it would make a good nesting box. Thoughts? By the way, if you have an IKEA in your neck of the woods, they have great things in their "As-Is" scratch and dent section that can be used for chickens... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    That's really cute [​IMG] But aren't you going to have to get on your knees to collect eggs?

It makes me think of those tiny tents that you see as displays of the full sized tent. Now wouldn't that be cute to put on a shelf as a nest! You'd have to nail the bottom of it down of course. Hey...that's a novel idea! I'm not sure how big that one is in the picture, if it's small enough to mount on a shelf, I say go for it!

3. Daysiechicks

Daysiechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Good question, no... I actually bought two and they had this super cheap shelving in the as-is section that they fit on perfectly, so they will sit up about 3 feet off the ground.
    I know they aren't perfect, but they looked so cute and cozy

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    My birds keep the inside fo the nests pretty clean, free from poop. But the outside of them...poop flys everywhere in a coop. And the dust in our coop...

5. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    That is great! I would so use one for my lil Seremas if we had and Ikea within 1000 miles of me lol

6. JENx

JENx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Leicester, England
    We have one of these, though not from ikea!

It's made for rabbits, cats etc, i hadn't thought of a cosy place for the chickens!!

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Can it be hosed off? My girls would have it thoroughly *coated* [​IMG] in a matter of days...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by