Pet roo turning nasty....

Gosh my rooster henry is sweet as pie, eats from my hand, sits on my arm, but he is only 2 months old. is this what i have to look forward to? or are their exceptions?

Quote:
In my experience, there are good roos and bad roos - it's all in the genetics. If you have a good roo without a bit of aggressiveness in his genetic makeup and you baby him, you've done nothing except end up with a good, lovable roo.

However, if somewhere in his genetic makeup there's some meanness and you baby the roo, you're liable to run into problems. By being so friendly with him, you've made him less afraid of you. You've removed the one obstacle that may have kept him from attacking, his fear.

Problem is you really can't tell if a roo is going to be mean until he reaches maturity, or even later. That's when his true colors will show. Best to leave them be, play with your hens, love on your hens and ignore the roo. Make sure he respects you and keeps a safe distance. Much less heartbreaking than having to cull a roo that you've grown overly attached to.

Again, just my experience.

Well, this may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=63850-the-definite-guide-to-roosters

Although I really need to update and clean it up a lot.
wink.png

I really don't think genetics is that big of a deal at all. Sure, some roosters just have a tendency to be more aggressive, but they are still manageable 99.99% of the time. I have a psycho little Lakenvelder rooster right now that I'm working with, although I'll admit, I'm not giving it too much effort, as he's pretty hilarious.
lol.png

You CAN have a pet rooster that's non-aggressive, but you have to watch how you treat him. If you treat him like some innocent little baby and/or are scared of him, you're in for trouble. He needs to respect you, but in turn, you need to respect him to some degree too.

ALL of my roosters (except for the lakenvelder....sorta) are pretty much pets and extremely tame/nice. If they would even try to attack me though, they would be disciplined right away (this doesn't mean hurting them - just showing them you will not tolerate that kind of behavior).

Last edited:
Quote:
Exactly !!!! everytime we hear of a Rooster gone bad it's because somebody decided to play lovey dovey and make a pet out of it. I am really sorry but I have no tollerance for this pet in the making thing. It is why he turned on you and he will continue to, my guess is when you finally tire of getting blindly flogged by him and do get another Cockrel you will probably play huggy pie kissy pooo with him too and the visious cycle will begin again.

Sorry but this is a fact you will get bored of quickly, but perhaps learn a valuable lesson. I do hope your situation improves.

Quote:
Exactly !!!! everytime we hear of a Rooster gone bad it's because somebody decided to play lovey dovey and make a pet out of it. I am really sorry but I have no tollerance for this pet in the making thing. It is why he turned on you and he will continue to, my guess is when you finally tire of getting blindly flogged by him and do get another Cockrel you will probably play huggy pie kissy pooo with him too and the visious cycle will begin again.

Sorry but this is a fact you will get bored of quickly, but perhaps learn a valuable lesson. I do hope your situation improves.

I've never made a pet out of a rooster or many hens either. Still never had a really "nice" rooster. Had at least 5 different breeds over the year. Most I can work with, but I never turn my back on them. Most will tolerate me, but not my husband or sons. I always make them get out of the coop before I go in. It's just the way it is done here. Roosters are roosters & you either want them or not.

tongue.png
oops, done made Cinnimon a pet. He tried to make whoopie with my head yesterday. I promptly stopped him and put him down.
He got jealous when I picked up one of the younger boys for a look over. He don't like to share with the other boys.

Quote:
That's how my first brahma boy Zeus was. Trying to push me around, make me do what he wanted. Wasn't funny when he got bigger. Be careful hun.

Well the fact that he has been sexually mature for a while now but just started at the kicking means there is some hope for him. It probably is just that his hens are broody. If her refuses to submit to you and is still kicking when true summer shorts weather is here, you may want to rethink things.

Quote:
That's how my first brahma boy Zeus was. Trying to push me around, make me do what he wanted. Wasn't funny when he got bigger. Be careful hun.

I do not expect him to get much bigger being a Silkie. I am careful with him; but he sure caught me off guard.

Kinda feel bad for him as his girls are not ready and he is so frustrated. But I would rather give him a stuffed toy to be randy with.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom